12.28.2006


On Sunday, we took a train into the city (NYC, that is). I'm a country girl through and through, but I love to visit the city. I'm a people watcher, a window shopper, a lover of the odd, the extraordinary, the simple, and the sparse, and I got a fine share of all. It was a thoroughly wonderful day. Our only disappointment was not being able to attend the 4 o'clock service at St. Thomas Episcopal Church (in the shadow of St. Patrick's) in its entirety. Their boy's and men's choirs were featured in the service, and when the solo boy soprano's voice rose to touch the vaulted ceilings in the hushed church, I rushed the Bird out before she squawked and shattered the moment. In John's words, "I always have these great ideas that just aren't always possible with a family." We were out, mostly napless, from the eight o'clock train until the night-time nine o'clock one, though, so I think he pulls off some of these great ideas beautifully.

3 comments :

Rebecca said...

Your family has the most WONDERFUL adventures!

I have never been to NYC. I remember in highschool all the foreign exchange students talking about going to NYC AGAIN (after having gone several times). They thought it ridiculous (and I agree) that someone who lives in NY hasn't been to NYC. Someday perhaps.

It looks like you had such a grand time!

Abigail said...

This is the third time I've been in the city for a long stretch of time. Once in high school for English class, once in college for break, and then this time. The other handful of times I spent mostly greeting John and walking from the bus station to the train station. I loved even that, though.

[You should go sometime. Apart from parking (or train ride) costs, there are so many free curiosities that everything else can be enjoyed without spending hardly anything.]

Griffen said...

I'll post it here since I could comment on ALL of the photos below of your trip to The City... What a perfect Christmas treat, for such a beautiful family. Horses and dolls, vaulted ceilings and sleepy trains. Your eye, as always, captures it well, and your type inhances what ever the photos could possibly lack.