8.10.2007

20 Minutes Is All It Takes

Fall and autumn sunsets seem to quicken my heart more than summertime ones do, perhaps because the stark landscape showcases the color more vividly. A recent summertime sunset drew us outdoors without a thought, though, even here in town. The sky was a strange blend of colors. To the east, bronze and green melted into a magnificent double rainbow that was later lost in a rosy haze; to the west, gold turned to flames and then embers before full darkness came.

I didn't edit any of these pictures. Snapshots could never do it justice, anyway.

After the rain slowed, the sky glowed gray. It was beautiful, and Millie, in her play apron, ran toward me shouting, "We're going to collect the gold, Mama; we're going to collect the gold!"

She was running for this.






As she ran, this sky behind her




was bound by this. It was an immense double rainbow, but only one shows here.



Just a few minutes later, the sky changed again, with Becky and the twins underneath and Tommy's head sprouting rainbow.




A minute more, and I saw grays and pinks and a glowing Candida.




Here's the other end of it.




And then I turned around to take a picture of this pine tree in between houses.




And this sky aflame.


5 comments :

Liana said...

Our Creator is a genius!

heidiann(e) said...

have millie bring me some of THAT kind of gold!

Kate said...

The shots you took of the red sky and trees are fabulous. I'm sure the original was better, but memories are nice.

haha...my word verification was "ezezgu." I think I'm going to start using it as a word.

Rebecca said...

The second one from the bottom is positively brilliant. I remember my sister posting on a double rainbow a few weeks back. Everyone got to enjoy it but me! :-(

'General Revelation' doesn't seem so 'general' to me.

Abigail said...

Kate,
Thanks. What would the definition of ezezgu be? I'm tempted to use it myself, but I want to be sure I use it appropriately.

Rebecca,
I know a way to remedy that problem of missing local rainbows... :)