2.28.2008

That's Some Party!

We celebrated last night with a low-key party consisting of ourselves, a giant cake (we squeaked out of Lent observance for the occasion; don't ask me how), gummy worms, and gifts.

When asked what cake she would prefer, Susannah responded with equal approval to the suggestions of horse, frog, flower, doll, dragon...you name it; she loved it. I gave Millie and Annika the honor of narrowing the selection down to one cake, and, predictably, they chose a bird cake.

Here's the cake.




Here's the one finger-mark that I didn't find in time to cover with a profusion of yellow blossoms like I did with the others. It's like a game of "I Spy," only sweeter.



Here are the inept huffs and puffs that blew her hair out of her eyes but posed no threat to the flame.




The aforementioned worms were greeted with suspicion...



but quickly welcomed.



One of the guests, with three (yes, three) ballet costumes layered together, had a purse full o' tricks.



Following the face-stuffing, we indulged in gift-opening. We gave Susannah an umbrella (spring, soon!) and a bug net.




Grandma and Grandpa Owen gave her a fancy tricycle, which made its way around the house with three pairs of churning legs.



Here's the birthday bird on wheels.



She's playing with her newly opened gifts from Grandma and Grandpa Johnson as we speak, but my camera batteries are charging, so you'll just have to wait for the conclusion.

9 comments :

Laura said...

love these pics

Liana said...

What a BEAUTIFUL cake!
The girls, as always, are beautiful, too!
Happy Birthday to your bird!!

alltheposts said...

Coming soon to Buildabelly: Cake Decorating Video Tutorial?!?!

Rebecca said...

Awesome cake, perfectly suited.

I am especially impressed with you frosting the sides of the cake. That, to me, is the most tedious and frustrating work there is? Do you have tips?

Looks like you have entered the world of cake tips...amazing job. Beautifully vibrant, just like your girl.

Abigail said...

Tori,
It wouldn't be a pretty sight! A tutorial would show me procrastinating for a while and then rushing around to make two cakes from a new recipe, then a double batch of buttercream frosting, and then finally squirting quarts of food coloring into a half dozen bowls of frosting before dumping it all on the cake, fixing fingermarks, and kicking myself for not figuring out a color scheme before I began. And the mess I leave in my wake would make Martha swoon...

Rebecca,
I completely slopped the frosting on the sides. John was due home, and we were going to have an early party. I do have tips and have for several years. My mom passed down a couple to me a long time ago, and then a year and a half ago, I stuffed a bunch in a $2.00 bag at a rummage sale. I haven't used them much, but I used the same tip for most of this bird cake as I did for Susannah's bird cake last year. There's such a lack of imagination in this household...

heidiann(e) said...

that birthday girl is so pretty.

i love the cake too.

Michelle P said...

I love all the birthday pics and details! Very nice job on the cake!

Griffen said...

I, also, LOVE this cake. Finger-gouges, I've found, are an absolute must... or more, say, of an inevitability.

And "HA!" is what I say about that comment: "There's such a lack of imagination in this household..."

Fun times. Happy Birthday to the soon-to-be-big-sister.

Michelle said...

What a bright and fun cake! I love it! I keep vowing to myself that the next birthday that comes up, I will make a cool, shaped cake, not just decorate the top of a cake-in-a-dish. :)