11.25.2009

A Good Time Was Had by All

I think this was in November...maybe October. Anyway, during bow season, my brother Andy got a buck that they didn't have room for in their freezer yet, so he gave most of it to me. Yeah! John lugged it in for me, and then I spent hours butchering it. It was well worth the clumsy (novice) work, and I was able to pack forty pounds in the freezer. Winter, ho!

Annika and Millie were pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, but I caught Susannah playing the harmonica and singing a plaintive tune to the beast when I walked in from the other room. The lyrics, interspersed with haunting toots on the harmonica, went something like this:

I don't love you, Deer. I'm sorry, but I don't love you dead on our taaaable.
I DO love you, Deer, but I only love you in the foreeeeest.
I DON'T love you, Deer. I DON'T like to eat you when you're deeeeeeaaaad.
I love you in the foreeeest, but I DON'T love you when you're dead.


For the record, I learned that she's fine eating venison once it's been packed away in ziplock bags, as long as the meat doesn't look like what it actually is, i.e., its legs aren't hanging off the sides of the table.

6 comments :

Laura said...

This post made me smile. I love her song and her compassion for that sweet (yet delicious) deer.

cadie said...

She is hilarious.
"I don't love you, Deer. I'm sorry, but I don't love you dead on our taaaable" - LOL!
"I love you in the foreeeest, but I DON'T love you when you're dead" - yeah, I think that's the way Deirdre feels about the chickens too!

Michelle P said...

These children of yours...to cute.
And that last picture? amazing. another blue ribbon.

Titi said...

Lol! She certainly has a way with words. I suspect there are a lot of people who'd like to sing her song, not just children.

Abigail said...

I'm glad you all like this post, because I wasn't sure how a hulking mound of raw deer would come across to the vegetarians in the audience.

I couldn't resist, though. This was one of my favorite moments of all the pictures posted.

Michelle said...

I am totally with you, Susanna! lol

I, too, like venison, just not so, uh, deer-like... :)