5.20.2011

Disclaiming

It's four thirty in the morning, and ever since I nursed the baby an hour ago, I haven't been been able to sleep. What better time to blog?

To quote words I wrote before, "My blog isn't a personal journal or a ... forum for matters of theology, philosophy, parenting methods, or diaper choices, and it likely never will contain anything other than a glut of snapshots."

As I rearranged the glut of snapshots I've loaded recently, I had to laugh. Or was it a groan? Blogs are a patchwork, at best, and that's okay most of the time. There's really no way to give a seamless view of a life, and even if there was, I wouldn't want to. For me, the problem develops when the blog creator presents a false view, either deliberately or unconsciously, of herself or of whom the strange sphere of her electronic world includes. Occasionally, this happens here. Because I choose to share the substantial joy of the ordinary and not much else, shotsnaps tilts crazily to one side, which leads me to this:

As I type, my house looks like a train just plowed into the side, through the middle, and out the other end. This week has been a steady spiral downward in terms of housekeeping. The dishes are half done, the floor is unswept and unmopped, and I still need to put the baby's winter clothes into the basement. The smell of a Piper Who Shall Not Be Named And Who Already WAS Potty-trained pervades the downstairs, and it is not a pretty smell. There are many other heaps and hills I need not mention, and let's not mention the state of the basement, shall we? You know those mom-blogs that show a picture of a charmingly "messy" room only to show the gleaming after picture? [You know who you are, women!*] Well, let me just say that the messes round these parts wouldn't charm the warts off a frog, and I'd NEVER keep them for posterity.

Now that I've got that off my chest, you can enjoy the shiny pictures.

*And I'm not picking on those before/after pictures I've seen from several of you, either. I wish my befores were as charming, but they happen to be a bit more horrifying dramatic instead.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

That is exactly why I LOVE to come look & read your blog! Your pics are beautiful & your family the same!!! You are a wonderful woman of God Abby & I am soooo Blessed to know you!!!
Mary

Abigail said...

Someday, maybe I'll live up to your kind words. Until then, you make me want to be better!

Sarah Tate said...

Ugh. My house, too. Somehow I do laundry and then can't get it put away.
The best thing for me- company is coming this weekend, so tomorrow I must shut off my kindle and hang some things up!!!

Abigail said...

Me, too! The company, that is.

I don't have a kindle to distract me, but what the heck is this computer doing on?

Abigail said...

I just realized that my comment sounded condescending, as if I NEVER have laundry hanging about.

I didn't mean it the way it sounds, and, sadly, I suffer from laundry block occasionally, too. Why bother when it will be dirty again in a day or two?