5.20.2011

Egging With Abigail, Part Deux

This is a stop along the journey to which readers may not wish to follow. Its name is Crazy Town.

Even though I know it's foolish and I never intend to do so, my recent holiday (Holy Day) pattern has been to stay up all night doing silly things that don't need to be done. Rather than a time of stress and anxiety, however, these nights have become a peaceful time of contemplation and thankfulness. So when you scroll past the pictures of ridiculous place-card eggs, please know that as I glued felt and googly eyes onto eggshells, my heart sang the praises of a risen Lord. Rejoice!

The idea of filling eggshells with chocolate-- like Kinder-eggs, only not so professional-- is something I've wanted to do for a while now. During the day, I blew out the insides of eggs, cut off the ends with a sharp knife (I said I was stupid), boiled them to get rid of any clinging germs, and then let them dry. (I found inspiration here.)

I'd been saving some colored chocolate melts my mom-in-law had left over from a Christmas project for something special. "As opposed to eating them plain?" you ask. Yes, as opposed to eating them plain.

I saved them for such a time as this.

After melting dark chocolate and coating the insides of the eggs, I let them harden, open-end down, on cooling racks before coating them with a second layer of colored melts. After they were dry, I washed 0ff all the drippy, hardened mess.

Here's the fun part. I was grinning so big as I stuffed the eggs, imagining how much fun it would be to be surprised by such on Easter morning. I tucked jelly beans, one quarter, one dime, one nickel, and one penny into each egg, as well as one tightly rolled message of joy.




Enter my stash of felt from Great Aunt Betty-Jo. Sixteen cents for a square of felt?! I thought those were the good ol' days, but felt must have been hard to come by.

I cut circles out of felt that would overlap the edges of the hole by a bit and then hot-glued the felt over the opening. Then I decided to turn the eggs into chicks, so I snipped rectangles of felt into grass and wrapped them around the egg, hot gluing them into place.


Googly eyes and beaks soon came tumbling after.



And here's the part where I unveil the glory of my dorkiness to the universe. I wrote PUNS on the back of the eggs in order to use them as place-cards. Not only did I write puns, but I giggled- GIGGLED- as I thought of them. At three o'clock in the morning, I thought I was the funniest creature alive. At seven o'clock in the morning, doubts crept in, but I took a picture, anyway.

That's Mildregg, Annicluck, Cock-a-doodle-Sue, Peeper, and Luchicka.
I'm so funny!
(I'm so ashamed.)



The next morning, they rested beside the chocolate bunny pops that I made around 1 in the morning. Give me chocolate, and I'll be productive.



The girls were so curious about them, and when I told them to peel off the shells, I eagerly leaned over their shoulders, waiting for the reaction. They loved them.




I think we've got a new tradition on our hands.

10 comments :

Liana said...

you are one super mom. i love it! And, if I were "as cool" as I use to be as your RA, I'd come down at 3am and have a chat with you!
Your children are blessed with these creative, fun things that only a COOL mom like you does!

trawlerman said...

Eggsellent post!!

You made your yolk look easy and your burden light!

Abigail said...

ANYTIME! I mean that. Give me a heads up, though, as I don't have all-nighters more than a few nights a year, these days.

And I do things like this for selfish reasons, too. I am so delighted by their delight that it seems my motives can't be entirely pure!

Abigail said...

What are you doing in the other room, Trawlerman?!

We must have posted comments simultaneously.

Possum.

HA!

Sarah Tate said...

That's just impressive. 3 am, though, is not my friend.


What is my friend? It's 12:15 and I'm still up. I feel insane!

Love the eggs, though. They're worth staying up for.

Abigail said...

I think I got half an hour of sleep when my body called my bluff. I fell asleep with my face smushed on top of the sewing machine while sewing the girls' sashes for their Easter dresses. Not so safe. Not so comfy.

Stupid? I can do that just fine!

What I wonder is how in the world was I able to pull so many all-nighters in college? The most I handle these days is a few a year, and even that's pushing it.

I guess I'm old.

Abigail said...

Old is safe.
Old is comfy.

Rebecca said...

SO COOL! Clever, clever you!

(PS. Love the names on the eggs too. you crack me up. CRACK?! har har har)

Abigail said...

You yolkster.

Abigail said...

Yeah, I just pushed it over the top.