5.04.2011

Forever Yours


I look quite grim here, don't I?
Moving on...

I love washing machines, and sometimes

-sometimes-

I love the internet.

I spent most of our marriage going to laundromats, which are true marvels in their own right, but since our move, I've reveled in having our Very Own washing machine. I can wash clothes in the morning, at noon, at midnight, and at 3 o'clock in the morning if I so darn choose! Actually, the best part is that I don't even have to wash them. Instead, I pour a magic substance into a hole, toss dirty clothes in after it, press a button, and- presto!- with a chug and a whir and a bit of sight-unseen faith, my clothes are cleaned for me. So, yes, I love washing machines.

Here's why I love the internet.

Last night, I opened the washing machine lid to find a undrained washer full of water. I was very sad. Today, thanks to my impatience (I can't wait nine hours for John to return!), I asked the Internet how to dissemble my washing machine. It told me, so I did, and then I used needle-nose pliers to extricate a sock (MILDRED!) out of the drain pump. And then I put it back together again, with much better results than all the king's horses and all the king's men might have had in the same situation.

As I type, the washing machine is doing my work for me, scrubbing away with a chuggety-thump. This is a sorry excuse for a post, but I had to crow to someone, and the girls just don't understand like some weird mother out there in the nebulous land of internet might.

Oh! And I have big news. So exciting! Not as exciting as a baby in my belly*, but pretty fun nonetheless. (It has something to do with another magical machine, only this one preserves clean clothes for posterity with a click and a SNAP. Also, it's black. And shiny. And so expensive that it could have bought us, or, say, my mom-in-law, another car-home**.)


*p.s. It's not a baby.
**p.p.s. It's not a car-home.

8 comments :

Farmgirl said...

I'm curious and excited to hear! A click and a SNAP? A camera? A shiny camera to take pictures of clothing? Or perhaps a shiny trunk to save clothing in like a trusseau? Hmmmm.....

Wendy said...

I am intrigued as well! Hmmm. Also...I fully appreciated the tearing apart the washing machine story...as we have had to do that ourselves...although, I dont think I would have had the courage to do it myself! Way to go Abby!

Full of Grace said...

A Camera, A Camera, is it a Camera??? :)

Rebecca said...

what are you, Wonder Woman or something?!?!?!?!

sheesh

Hey, while you are at it, wanna come fix MY machine?



pretty please?



:-)

Abigail said...

Michelle,
I've been trying to comment on your blog for a couple of weeks, but whenever I hit "publish comment," the page reloads. Do you know if anyone else is having this problem, or is it simply my stupidity? I want to tell you what I've especially enjoyed, but my own comments box seems a silly place to do so, though I'll stoop to it if I have to! Also, p.p.p.s. It's not a trousseau.

Wendy,
I knew someone would understand why I was more pleased than punch for the rest of the evening! As soon as I realized the problem was fixed, I shouted "Praise the Lord!" so loudly that the girls upstairs came curiously to the top of the steps. What a relief. I do love me my warshing marchine and was so thankful for internet-folk who teach nitwits how to fix problems.

Elizabeth,
It's.....a camera. A camera! A CAMERA! A CAMERA!!!! A CAAAAMMMMERRRRAAAAA!!!!!! And I'm totally cool about it all.

Rebecca,
Seriously, is it broken?!

I could never fit into Wonder Woman's spangled hot pants. Also, the internet guys were able to fix in ten minutes what it took me an hour to fix, what with the running upstairs and down and second-guessing myself and wondering if I was going to irredeemably break something. Besides, you've got a WonderMan, though I do hope HE doesn't wear spangled hot pants. (And if he does, please, for the sake of the world, just pretend that he doesn't.)

Molly said...

I am so impressed! I usually leave those things to my hard-working husband, in fact, the guts to our toilet have been sitting in the package for two weeks now while our potty sings and whistles. I think I'll "man-up" and do some potty surgery! Your story has empowered me! Thanks, Abigail!!!!

Anonymous said...

Abby, You are a amazing woman of God!!! I am sooooo Blessed to have you as a friend & fellow sister in Christ!!!
If my washer ever goes on the brink, I will give Amazing Abby a call!
This will come up as I am Anonymous, But it is me Mary, I just cannot remember where I put my google info!lol sheesh,I write it down so I will not forget it!!! guess that doesn't work very well ya think!lol
Have a Blessed week & Lord willing see ya Sunday!

love~ Mary

Unknown said...

oh i loved reading thhis!! and can't believe you fixed that yourself....definitly inspired me!! SO it IS a new camera???? SO exciting!! by the way...your family is beautiful, as always! i'm not blogging right now due to my crazy move, etc, but i still love reading yours!