5.20.2011

A Sorry Excuse for a Hand-Written Note

I shy away from dispersing shotsnaps in the murky Internet ocean. I don't link up to linky-thingies, I don't join blog parties, I don't comment on blogs I run across of people I don't know (unless they've first commented on mine), and if I do happen to comment on a stranger's blog, I leave my name without a link back to shotsnaps. You can analyze this wallflower approach to making internet connections if you like. (Or you can spend your time doing something more fun.)



This preamble serves to explain why I'm so surprised when people DO stumble here. It's fascinating to me that people I've never met in other parts of the country and/or world happen upon this spot and come back from time to time. I love the ways in which humans forge ties to one another in unlikely ways, and, even though I'm often reticent to do it myself, I think it's cool when (kind, not creepy) people comment here.

I think of you, Torie, nearly every time I snap your cloth diapers on the baby-- of your generosity even though we've never met-- and I know it's possible for great good to spring from the odd, modern ties that come through electronic screens. I'm not talking about the loot I've been sent, either! (Okay, not JUST about the loot, anyway...)
Molly is a sweet reader who sends me encouraging messages, and she found her way here via buildabelly through an internet search for pesto lasagna! The internet baffles me; it truly does. I probably won't change my practice of staying secluded in a little corner of the internet just because a reader who unexpectedly found my blog sent a giant box filled with goodies for the girls, but we're grateful for it nonetheless!

I took these pictures, Molly, 'cause I thought you'd like a bird's-eye view of the girls opening the package.




Susannah immediately claimed the African doll and hasn't let go since. She LOVES her, as do all the girls, though they respect Susannah's obvious connection with her. The picture on the left shows her about 30 seconds after they opened the box. The picture on the right captures her epiphany that "When I go to Africa, I can take her WITH me!!!"
*Side note: The doll needs an African name. I told Susannah that I have a friend who lives in Africa and that I'd ask her for some suggestions. Sandy, that means you, if you're willing!



There was much trading of lotions and chapsticks, and Millie and Annika had to examine the doll, too.



Piper latched onto the singing frog and jealously guarded the use of his paw (hand? foot?). This is no surprise, nor is it a surprise that I've been belting out "I'm singin' in the rain...Just SINGIN' in the rain!" for the last few weeks.


Millie and Annie share the two huskies, tho' they think they're wolves. I haven't corrected them, because I imagine it's more fun to have a wolf ride around on one's shoulder than it is to have a husky dog do the same.




Thanks so much! I'll mail the real thank you tomorrow.

1 comment :

Molly said...

How I love seeing the girls enjoy the box of goodies! Thank you for posting these pictures:-) I wondered whose heart each toy would capture!! Much love.