11.21.2011

The Great Pumpkins

True to form, I waited until I heard there was to be a frost before harvesting the pumpkins, squashes, and everything else save kale and the root vegetables. I actually waited until 20 minutes before dusk, at which point I rushed the girls out of the house and frantically started heaping squash while they picked their pumpkins.









As I worked on heaping this higher,





the girls (or so I presumed) were picking their pumpkins and piling them in the wheelbarrow. It wasn't until Millie fetched me and asked me to go inside for the camera that I realized they'd actually been styling their pumpkins for a photo-shoot.

So, I went inside, got the camera, and changed the settings to allow as much light as I could without using the flash in order to honor their request. So much for flash-hatred. Light was so dim at this point that they were hard to see, so the pictures are grainy, but here they are, anyway!

The girls with their studio set-up.




Mildred arranging everyone for the shoot.





Everyone surrounded by their pumpkins. So happy! So sweet!




Then the wheelbarrow tipped over and spilled the babies out, which made for a few minutes of mayhem. Millie soon ordered everyone back on track, and here are a few of their individual shots.

Pumpkin pixie:




Laughing Pip:




and crying Lu (she was unhappy that they only gave her the tiny pumpkin...truly):




And a picture of the sunset before we went inside.






Thanks a million for the seeds, Molly! They gave the girls an entire summer of delight and culminated in this daring, dusky raid of the patch.

4 comments :

cadie said...

Even when they're little, they know when they're being gyped! (photo of Luci)

sarah said...

Those are some wonderful pictures. And pumpkins. And poses.

Molly said...

I'm so glad they enjoyed the pumpkin growing process from seed to bounty. I met a rep with Bonnie Plants and they sell Heirloom seeds. I'll see what I can get for next year. Do you think the girls would like more pumpkin farming?

Abigail said...

Molly,
You bet! We've already turned several into pies and soups, and they were delicious.