6.27.2014

Taking the Time





The children have made sure that I stop and smell the flowers.  Zeke loves the white roses, especially, though their heady scent is lost on him as he still blows air out of his nose trying to sniff them.  Poor dear.  Someday he'll learn how to both talk and blow his nose (I hope).  OH, and wear clothes.  Someday, he'll wear clothes, too.

He braves the thorns for the sake of the bloom,




 


 and, then, like a charmer, he offers them to me, waiting for my melodramatic exclamations of delight.

















Then there are the fluorescent pink roses, so bold and bright that the camera renders them thus.  I could probably tone down the saturation a bit to make their color more neutral, but that's too much work.








Besides, they match the peonies perfectly.  I planted some mystery peony bulbs this year and am hoping, first, that I didn't kill them, and, second, that they're not hot pink.  We get enough pink each June just with these beauties.



































There were irises-- yellow, white, and purple-- to balance all that pink, but I didn't preserve them with more than two lame snapshots.  Sorry.  Babies are better.







4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I love the photograph of Zeke holding the flower up to you.

- Debbie

Abigail said...

Only because you love the bare-bottomed subject so darn much...

Rebecca said...

oooh- white roses! We have pink though it is a much softer pink~ it still is a lot of PINK between the roses and the peonies!

During peony season I would oogle all the different colored peonies that everyone else had and then I would chastise myself for being so ungrateful for the neon pink ones I have.

After all, I HAVE peonies, right? Sheesh, Rebecca.

But I do hope to someday have a few other colors too- but that all depends on what is passed down to me or can be found at the church perennial sale for $1.00. Beggars can't be choosers.

Also- that picture of Susie? It should be entered into the fair this year.

Abigail said...

I feel the same way about ungratefulness for hot pink. A perennial sale for $1.00?! At that cost, I bet you don't horribly mind not being able to choose colors! Woohoo!