6.03.2014

Our Little Fire

Right after my last post announced "no baby," those jokester evening hours brought us one.





(first hospital solo snapshot)



We chose his name after meeting him.

Aidan Raphael-- Little Fire, God Has Healed-- was born May 29th at 8:35 p.m., weighed a whopping six pounds even, and measured 19 inches long from tip to toe.








His face is sweet enough to melt the stoniest heart.








We are thankful for his safe arrival most of all.  The birth was as good as I could have hoped-- a third successful VBAC, an understanding nurse who mostly left me alone and allowed me to labor naturally the way I wish, a husband-friend to keep me company, and a doctor who arrived just in time to catch Aidan so John didn't have to.  I'm relieved and thankful that God orchestrated all that we cannot control, from the first moment through the present.  These are the easy blessings to accept, and I don't take them for granted.




(Phone photo from John. I had no clue, of course, being a little distracted by the baby born immediately before.)


Here's another photo from John's phone of some handsome stranger holding our child.






I was so bored in the hospital-- tiny baby!-- waiting for my Heart to come back.







He took a quick nap right before departure.  Thanks for the stylish, going-home outfit, Owen family!






 John took these pictures with his phone shortly after we got home.  I love them.
The best papa with Big Head and Little Fire.








Us and Baby and Pip.





And here are the girls holding him for the first time.  The pictures don't do any of their love and excitement justice. Sweet, sweet girls.






















We got home on Saturday afternoon, and Sunday was a whirl of a day with a church picnic, a birthday party for little Scout, the birth day of our own sweet Piper Joy, and a baptism most joyful of our newest child.

John is home all week and has been making meals and working hard on garden preparation that I didn't manage to do while stuck in the hospital.  I've been working a bit and resting well, but, mostly, just staring at this Little Fire warm and bright in the sunshine.
 



(He doesn't look this chubby or large in real life.  Close-ups do that to everyone, even tiny babies.) 

13 comments :

Sarah said...

We Johnson Boys are the first to comment! Yahoo! We can't wait to romp & run with you Little Aiden!

Rebecca said...

I have been checking and checking to see if you had posted anything ever since I heard the news from Matt.

Pins and needles, I tell you!

What a gorgeous, beautiful teeny-tiny boy! The picture of Millie holding him and the picture of you and he after he was born I think show just how teeny he is.

And I love the picture of John and the boys. Love it, Love it. His joy radiates in that Papa grin.

I am so happy that all went well and so thankful that God has been so abundant in His blessings throughout the whole delivery.

The picture shadows of Aidan are precious- I can't wait to meet him in person and see him in all his glory!

PS. Love the name.

PPS. He has Piper eyes when she was a baby but looks much like Lucy does in that picture of her holding him- perhaps because she is nearly as scrawny as He.

PPPS. Love you guys.

Renata said...

Hi Abigail
A huge congratulations to you all! Little Aiden is gorgeous! Certainly worth the wait. I just love the pictures in this post. What a wonderful family you have. Their love for the newest member is tangible - even through the medium of snapshots.
Take care and enjoy this newborn time.
Blessings
Renata:)

Laura said...

I might die. Cuteness Overload. Welcome to the world, sweet boy. You are loved by oh so many-

Blessings to you, precious Mama! Enjoy those snuggles!

Molly said...

I am so in love! Praise God for His Blessings that overflow!!! Congratulations! Beautiful Aiden and beautiful family. What a precious gift. I wept with tears of joy when I read your post and viewed your gorgeous pictures on this June morning. I cannot wait for Aiden to taste his first Texas grapefruit. :) "I've got joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart" is the song I am singing this day in honor of your successful delivery and good health for your family.

Much love!

Bonnie said...

SO SWEET! Congratulations all!

Titi said...

Wish I could tell you how happy I am for you in person! I remain quite perplexed at how you can bake them for so long and still wind up with such tiny babies! Only 6 pounds! Hopefully I will meet him soon.

Abigail said...

Thank you all for your warm congratulations! They are happily welcomed.

Titi,
I'm magic. (Even though I have absolutely nothing to do with it...) :)

Full of Grace said...

I finally had time to check and lo and behold there was...A BABY! :) Congratulations to you all, he is beautiful!!! :) Just so sweet...

heidiann(e) said...

Yay! He is all wonderful sweetness. Holding & smooshing him was the highlight of my whole weekend for sure, and maybe then some.

I love that you're calling him your little fire, too.

Welcome sweet Aidan.
Love from us all!

Griffen said...

Welcome, welcome to the earth, Little Fire! He is the perfect addition to your gorgeous family. Receive our warmest and weightiest well wishes and congratulations from Kenya. Hoorah! Hoorah! xo

Nanno said...

Nice job! Looks like the guys are finally trying to even the odds around there (although it might take a while). =)

Sarah Tate said...

Happy baby! He's beautiful, Congratulations!!!! How wonderful!