9.11.2005

Crunch.


A week or two ago I canned dill pickles and dill zucchini relish. When I was younger, I would come home from school and get a quart of my mom's canned dill pickles from the basement for an after-school snack. I remember eating the entire jar myself several times, paired with a few tall glasses of milk. (See- I paired unlikely foods before pregnancy was even a dot on the horizon.)

A real post will follow in a few days. This time between summer and fall bursts with busybusy, and I'll give a snapshot or two when the first lull comes.

3 comments :

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a great picture! You are always so creative in your portrayal of things!

I had such grand plans for pickle making. I wanted to make garlic dill pickles, bread and butters, hot n spicy pickles, relishes, and something called cinnamon pickles. The only one I was able to make was Bread and Butters. :-(

Given your history-why did you even bother canning them? You could have just put them in a big jar in the fridge to snitch every once in a while! hehehe

Anonymous said...

How many pints did you make? You sure do know how to make pickles look good.

I don't think that I've ever eaten a whole quart myself, but I've certainly eaten pickles and milk together. Sometimes, when I've only done light work in the morning and the humidity is sapping my appetite, I will eat a light lunch of nothing more than pickles, milk, and two slices of homemade bread (toasted and buttered). And some fruit, be it bananas, apples or prunes.

My brothers wonder how I can exist on such small amounts.

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
My conscience would've gotten to me...and my and John's lack of pickle-eating-self-control would have done us in entirely.

Titi,
I wouldn't wonder how you exist on such small amounts of food if I wasn't aware of how much of it you must burn off immediately in cooking for the hungry bellies of all those boys!

I only made one batch of the recipe you gave me (seven pints) because
1. I'm running out of jars
but more importantly
2. I had to BUY the cucumbers due to our sorry cucumber plants.

We'll finish these in no time flat, but at least we've got a few. Oh, for a future harvest for 20-some quarts!