5.07.2006

Goodbye, Cruel World


Those frighteningly cheerful strangers waving farewell are a harbinger of the following announcement. (Anyone who knows my flighty self may have been anticipating this for some time.)

Shotsnaps is dead.

Well, not dead, really, but certainly mortally wounded.
You see, I've lost the camera, and there is little chance of a successful recovery.

The long story, shortened a tad, is as follows.
John and I left the house yesterday for a bit of shopping, and we stopped by the Galleria Mall for the first time in nearly a year. We did this not for shopping, but for the samples scattered throughout. We stayed a long time, nibbled lots of samples, looked at a selection of kayaks (John wants one), and snapped some incredible pictures (since they're irrevocably lost, you can't dispute the fact that they were the most amazing pictures you'll never see).

After leaving the mall, we bought dull things at a dull store in a dull plaza. We splurged on dollar hot dogs in the parking lot, and as we drove past the cheap movie theater in the plaza ($1.50 movies on Wednesdays, $3.00 all other days), John noticed that a movie his coworker Doug raves about was playing. It's not a film John would normally be interested in, but it's a feel good film, suitable for two parents and three girls who were four hours behind on napping, so we decided on a whim that we would see it if the showing times cooperated. Then, we made The Giant Mistake. John stayed in the running car and asked me to jog in to find out the showtimes. I had left my glasses at home, but, with squinting, I discovered that the movie was showing at three o'clock. It was 2:56. Perfect!

We freed the children from their carseats, scurried into the theater, bought tickets, and flopped down in a darkened back row for what we thought would be an enjoyable two and a half hours. Half an hour later, the credits rolled. Yep. The movie had started at 1:15, and the ticket girl was mum, probably because people who are crazy enough to bring three young children to a non-animated movie not marketed for young children (which we do on the rare occasions that we see a movie) are also crazy enough to pay full price for the movie's climax minus its build-up.

I had looked at the wrong column. I was so very ashamed. This shame was only compounded once we arrived home by my discovery that somewhere in our travels, the camera had escaped from the diaper bag. Oh, Abigail! The only place I can determine it jumped ship was in the darkened movie theater; the bag tipped over when we removed the rumpled hot dogs for the girls. (They'd had no lunch, and we hadn't gone shopping at Aldi yet, hence no bananas. What else were we to do?)

So, John left home to retrace our steps, and he gave our number to many people who probably discarded that number in the garbage minutes after he departed, little realizing that in this camera's fate rests the balance of the world.

There you have it.

John is a gracious man, and to make me feel even worse, he let me sleep in this morning. I awoke to bacon, fresh-from-the-stovetop home fries, and scrambled eggs. Then, after church, he made dunchlupper. (You know, the meal that replaces lunch and supper/dinner.) It's the cruelty of inducing even more guilt with goodness.

And now I offer a public apology to all shotsnaps readers. Remember in the last post when I implied that one of you "squealed on me?" I take it back. John's the one who egged on that old man in the laundromat. (I realized this while munching the crisp bacon that he so conveniently prepared for me to drown my sorrows in.) The proof is not in the pudding, after all; it's in the bacon. He must prefer dolphins.

Lastly, I should announce shotsnaps' new policy, John's own brainchild. Every time each faithful reader loads the shotsnaps page, a "viewing fee" of one dollar will be charged to said reader. This will be in effect until we make enough cash to buy a new camera.

That will be all.
Thank you very much.

Signed most respectfully,
Abigail Joy Owen

16 comments :

Kathy said...

I like to read what you write, even if there are no pictures. This doesn't have to mean the end of shotsnaps. But I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your camera.

sarah said...

but how will i know what wonders the playground in New York hold?!!!
I love what you write, too- i love how happy you are, and all the fun that comes from it- but i will miss seeing the girls...we are attached to your family.

i am so upset i wrote in some capitals. look.
love you tons, fabulously.

Full of Grace said...

I am so sorry to hear you lost your camera- I can hardly imagine what it will be like without seeing your beautiful photos- however maybe you can be enticed to buy a cheapie Walmart special in the interim whilst you wait to buy the good one to replace your good camera??? Ours is an inexpensive one that does the job, even though it has it's frustrations, it still gets the job done quite well, all said and done. Just a thought, but to lift your spirits- your words paint a imaginative picture every time I read them, so no worries- we will still "see" beautiful photos when we read your posts!!! :)

heidiann(e) said...

i agree. i'll feel so disconnected without your writings and updates. please keep it up?

Rebecca said...

ok-this is where a wad of folded money in hairpins would definately come in handy.

I am so addicted to the snapshots of shotsnaps, I feel compelled to go buy one FOR you.

BTW~Did you get a REFUND of your money at the theater? (Probably not enough to replace the camera, although with theater prices as they are-not far off!) but it would have been a good gesture of the business and the stinkin' gypsy behind the counter!

Here is hoping that the goodness of people shines forth and a call from the movie theater is forth-coming.

Michelle P said...

Oh, such sad news cannot be possible on such a beautiful day! I most urgently plea to author Abigail, don't do it...don't kill this screen that gives so many friends so much happiness! And I do most earnestly agree, that your posts are beautiful literary creations within themselves, snaps or no snaps. (in fact, I must admit that I often count your posts as my English study for the day...learning a new word here, a new author there).
So there, I think that should suffice. If not, may I also add that this latest post almost made me forget how delighted I am by the fact that Owens of all sizes will soon be within minutes of my abode (minutes being relative of course, to living in the middle of nowhere). You wouldn't want to take that joy away from me, now would you dear Abigail?

Griffen said...

Hmmm... your fans speak for themselves. So, a picture says a thousand words, indeed, but how many pictures have your words painted? I don't think they can be counted, and certainly never replaced, especially not your woven things. Sheer inspiration and a flood of colors, tastes and sounds. Plus, a camera is sure to find its way to you soon. The masses will never let shotsnaps die. I dare say you're in for the long haul...

Michelle said...

Oh, Abby. I am sorry to hear of your camera. :( It reminds me of when I was a kid and left mine behind at an amusement park.

I know you're busy w/the move now, but I agree with the other ladies... Your words are as fun to read as the photos are to look at! :)

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

do you take paypal?

Anonymous said...

Argh!

We forgive you . . . sort of . . . maybe . . . a little.

You could always substitute character images for snapshots . . . you know, here is Millie:

o
-|- <-Millie
/ \

. . . Or something like that. Then we can imagine the details :)

Okay, humor aside, I am sorry to hear about the camera too. I will add my vote to enjoying your writing regardless of snapshots.

As an alternative to John's idea you could always plaster ads all over you website and we could click on all of them repeatedly until you have enough money . . . (might be awhile)

barefootkangaroo said...

I say this:

I'll buy out shotsnaps and lend its name to my blog to boost its lackluster readership. With the revenue from selling Shotsnaps (I'll allow you retain ownershop of "Fill her Up") you can purchase a new camera and start over from the ground up.

Well... that's a stupid idea.

I was just trying to help... I guess.

I repeat what has already been written- keep on posting! Photos shmotos! Shotsnaps must not die!

rachel said...

I lost a camera at a hockey game once. Well, I think I just forgot to pick it up. It was a nice camera. I'm sure someone out there is still enjoying it. Boo! Hiss!

Can't wait to see you!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll probably get stoned and burned by rabid Shotsnaps fans, but I wonder if loosing the camera was a sign from above to stop getting distracted and pack? If she's really going to move some May twenty, she's got a week and a half to two weeks to finish packing. Scary thought!

Michelle said...

Titi,

Well, God could've at least had the camera come up missing IN the house, not out on the town! LOL :)

Abigail said...

To All,
My melodramatic tendancies strike again. Of course Shotsnaps hasn't completely croaked, but, goodness! Only a simpleton would name a blog Shotsnaps that contains no snapshots!

Certainly, I'll keep writing. I'm too much of a blabberfingers to stop yet, but bone white words seem so barren without accompanying color. (Maybe I should change the name to "No Snapshots Here, Mister, So Don't Bother Lookin'!")

Rebecca,
Our nine dollars were wasted-- no refund (to be honest, I was too embarrassed to even ask). Pride conquers the miser.

Michi Belle,
You will see us in person, maybe even so often that you'll laugh at the demise of Shotsnaps' snapshots.Woohoo!

Michelle,
"It reminds of when I was a kid and I left mine behind..." Why is it that everyone else grew out of it, huh?!?

Rundy,
I'm computer-lazy. A good idea, but too time-consuming.

Josh,
You're welcome to share my readers, if they're willing. In fact, I hope they hop to your place and enjoy your posts like I do.

And, lastly, JOB.
You win the blue ribbon. Wear it proudly. No excuses, nary a wheedle, just a straight-up question of practicality. Yes, we accept Paypal. (Has everyone been counting their page loads? Keep track!)

P.S. I trust we will eventually replace our digital camera, and, until that day, I will post the pictures I take sparingly with our regular camera...you know, the one that's been neglected for almost two years.

Unknown said...

Price of a movie ticket in Waterloo, Iowa = $8.00
Sad to hear about the camera.