5.11.2006

I Believe In

Yesterday.

I was so pleased with myself, smug almost. Two loaves of bread were rising, the girls were in the bedroom (not yet asleep, but I was hopeful), and I was putting the last touches on Mother's Day packages while sitting on the floor of a living room that looked like Hurricane Wilma's last road trip.

Then the phone rang. Sharon and Nicole? Nearby? Willing to visit?
Oh, yes please!

I love spontaneous visits, I'm excited to see cool people whose blip has nearly disappeared from our limited radar's scope, AND I wish that I'd tidied our house the day before yesterday. In lieu of finishing packages, I stacked boxes against walls like a frenzied five-year old with a mountain of legos. (Yes, this is a roundabout way of letting both mothers know that their Mother's Day packages may arrive late.)

The apartment echoed with vacuum vroom, mop squeech, and the huffing and puffing of a sedentary mama. Is is any wonder that Mildred didn't sleep a wink during her nap, questioning eyes and inquisitive head poking out of the bedroom? Anyway, the apartment looked a bit less like Wilma and a bit more like Owen when our visitors arrived, and, thanks to Sharon and Nicole being such enjoyable people, I enjoyed their visit tremendously.

It was good to hear how they and other college friends are living-- a moment brief to reconnect and hear of three years' passing. People to make the heart glad. (And Sharon, if you read this, Annika became the wild child after you two pulled away. Truly.)
________________________________________________________

When John and I had been married only a few months, I overcooked some chicken. As I apologetically brought the dry meat to the table, he remarked, in all seriousness, that he preferred his food bland and dry. Nearly five years of marriage have turned that remark on its head, as he relishes the bite of spice on tongue and even concocts his own spicy ham and bean soup. Which is funny, because he didn't like beans, either...or soup.

The church group of which we're members is quite small. Of the twenty-odd members, at least half have come to the U.S.A. by way of Pakistan, which means our tastebuds are enriched by their offerings at any church meal. One family customarily brings a dish that both John and I love, but our attempts to procure the recipe have fallen flat. Look no longer! After scouring the Internet and tasting ingredient lists with my mind, I blindly followed a found recipe last night. We struck gold, and I've posted it and the recipe I used for Indian flatbread on buildabelly. Don't bother looking if you don't like spicy foods.

Immediately after praying and thanking God for our contact with other cultures, with the kitchen air heavy and pungent, John savored his first bites while saying, "Yep, I'm a Pakastani." Who knew? Although with his night-dark eyes and bushy beard...
_______________________________________________

Mr. Realtor Man called last night and talked to me for about 25 minutes. I felt awkward nearly the entire time, as the conversation consisted of him gushing about what wonderful tenants we've been.

RM: When I showed the apartment to that loudmouth guy who kept saying, "WHOAH, look at all the beds in here!" I wanted to punch him. Yeah, you could have been white trash, collecting welfare, but you're not! The apartment was clean, you were gracious, you were feeding your children lunch-- and you weren't feeding them spaghettios.
ME: (to myself-- Spaghettios have high fructose corn syrup)

RM: So you're moving from a one bedroom apartment in a bad section of Depew to working toward a house? Go for it!
ME: (to myself-- What? A bad section of Depew?)

RM: I told your landlords last summer, even before the baby was born, that they could be fined for breaking NYS housing regulations with four people in a one-bedroom apartment, but they didn't want to do anything about it and I told them I wouldn't either because you guys are such gush-gush-gush tenants.
ME: (to myself-- WHAT? We're law-breaking outlaws? Woo hoo!)
_________________________________________

Less often than I should, I am overwhelmed not by dirty dishes and spilled drinks, but by God's unparalleled goodness in lending us our three, who enlarge our lives and give joy in unexpected places and at unlikely times. Go below for snapshots of the girls. I'll type them quickly right now before I post this.

9 comments :

Rebecca said...

Am I right in thinking that this is THE week of your move? Would you be so kind, when you move in, to send us your new address. Corynn's new infatuation is the 'mail' and daily adds things to a pile to send to "Millie and Anka" I promise, I will secretly dwindle her stash before the mailman sees it.

Here's to one of your last weeks in Depew...and all the finishing touches that come with moving.

(BTW~ Baking bread in the midst of moving, eh? THAT puts Martha Stewart to shame...)

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it just make you want to squirm when people gush like that? I remember when we were kids, and actually out in a public place, these total strangers would come and gush over "what well-behaved children!" we were. Naturally we would blush, squirm, and stare at our shoes, and think of all the times we've gotten in trouble for bouncing on the couch, making messes, and generally un-behaving.

sarah said...

i like your pictures!

Wendy said...

Hi Abby, Through looking on your blog from time to time I have noted that you are moving...to our area...I think. I was just going through one of our local shopping guides and didnt know if this was of interest or not. There is a elementary Librarian position for Blue Ridge school in PA. This is basically across the border of Ny. Cory actually graduated from this school. I think that is Johns area...but I am not sure. If it is of interest let me know and I will give you the proper info. Good luck with the move!

Michelle P said...

I'm so happy shotsnaps is still in existence...and with the most wonderful word pictures! But yes Abigail, you're probably right. Soon I will meet the stars of the show face to face, and then, the much loved shotsnaps may take a little less of my time (only to be replaced by time with real, living, breathing Owens!).
When do you arrive? When can we have you down for dinner? When, when, when?! I know, I know, I must be patient. I must let you adjust and actually move into your new abode...but, when?

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
Thank goodness, no! Becky's brother-in-law is thick in the middle of evicting the current tenants (who were supposed to have moved many moons ago), so, barring any complications, we'll be able to move in by the end of May. We've got two weeks, and I've not been packing much yet, so don't call me Martha. We'll definitely give out our address, and Corynn's plump pile will be greeted with delight!

Titi,
You got it. Millie hadn't slept during her nap that day, and both she and I were less than charming before he called. Sigh.

Sarah, the real ones are back!

Wendy,
Thanks so much for thinking of us! John chose to follow the public librarian track instead of school librarian; he's qualified to work in prison libraries (his top pick), public, and higher academic settings, so he's not in the running for public school positions (which seem to be popping up everywhere these days!).

Michi Rohana,
Soon, soon! I'll send you more info. when I've got it. Hip, hip! And when should we have YOU AND STRETCH over for supper? I promise some dark chocolate delights...

Anonymous said...

Well, that conversation would have been uncomfortable if I was on the receiving end, but from over here it was halarious. It's funny how some people can be so insulting in what they say and not even realize it.

Abigail said...

He said so many funny things without knowing how comical our conversation was. One thing that would have been insulting had I been the easily insulted kind was his often-stated assumption that the reason why we WEREN'T "white trash" was our education (i.e. my degree and John working full-time while gettin his Masters impressed him more than all else). If we only had high school educations, but the same demeanor and home life, I wonder if he would have been as enthusiastic about us living five in one bedroom.

Michelle said...

Can you believe how some people can talk?? Oh, yes... Down with high fructose corn syrup!!!! :P