11.30.2006

Making Conversation

For those of you who've not met the Nixie in person, I wish to have a recorder with sound. Last week, Aunt April, trying to nail down Annika's sound and manner of speech, grasped around and came up with both "commandante" and "Cookie Monster." Annika's voice is low and raspy, the huskiness only made more endearing by her attendant expressions. So, with that skeleton description, imagine, if you will, Mildred still somewhat sleepy while Annika slurped Crispy Oats in the kitchen. While waiting for her hot cereal to finish cooling, Mildred came in the living room to curl in my lap, all the while making little murmurs of grumpiness, when, suddenly, these surly sounds were drowned out by a husky and cheerful bellow coming from the unseen Annika.

"REJOICE INNA WOOOORD, MI-YEE! REJOICE INNA WOOOORD!"

(That's Lord, not Word, even though in the beginning was the Word.)

Both Millie and I grinned, and our day began as days always should begin but not always do-- with rejoicing.
_____________________________________________________

Not to leave Mildred's voice out...

Millie loves to ask about the components of food-- what's healthy or unhealthy in each particular substance-- due in no small part to my own commentary on the same, probably. Because she's older, she's also more aware of the dangers that exist in the common things (the choking hazards of peanuts and pennies, broken bones from "flying" off the side of the open stairway, grave illness from swallowing a tube of toothpaste, etc., also probably due in no small part to my commentary). I tell you this as a backdrop for the following comment.

Yesterday, in the middle of a long and tedious laundromat visit, while munching on a thin mint, Mille looked at me seriously and asked, "Sometimes children die from eating too much candy, right, Mama?" I really didn't know what to answer, because I suppose some pitiable children do die from the effects of daily junk food overdosing, but I didn't want her to think that every time I handed her a thin mint, she was biting into the equivalent of Draino. What am I doing to this girl?!? (Millie also calls scrunchies "scrubbies" and walkers "squawkers" and good things "goog things" and I've not yet had the heart to correct her. I deserve a harsh sentence...)
______________________________________________

And Susannah?

"Mama! Ieeeiiiiiiieee! Thbbbtttt!"

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am kind of a lurker on your blog. I don't even know how I found it but I have been reading it for a few months. I just want to tell you that I think you are a great mom! Your kids are so cute and always smiling and you always seem to be doing something fun with them. I have two little boys who just turned 7 and 9 and they are the light of my life! I can tell your kids are the same to you too. Have a great weekend! Jen

heidiann(e) said...

i love those three voices. i can hear them in my head.
priceless.

Liana said...

I love these little bits from the voices of your children!

Griffen said...

I love how children translate and mutate our flippant comments... though I try to stay aware of what they might mull over and worry on in the night (like I did about some very silly things as a kid).

This week, I heard Griff telling his siblings that if they push back on the table while in their chairs, they could "crack their heads" and they could "break their necks". What Morbid mother planted that seed?

Rebecca said...

You have such worthwhile little anecdotes from the girls. I can come up with only two possible solutions to my problem. Either Corynn is not even a wee bit witty, or I am not paying enough attention.

I think it is the latter. Thanks for the reminder, not only to listen but to cherish what comes from the mouths of our babes.

(PS-I love how you translate their accents and child talk into computer jargon. It adds so much to the story. It just wouldn't be as dear if you didn't express it exactly as you heard it...)

Abigail said...

Jen,
Welcome! I'm always glad when readers come out from the shadows (and I like to hoodwink myself into thinking there are millions more like you...). Thank you so much for your kind words. I'll have to post a few pictures of grumpy girls with a growly Mama Bear so that this blog picture reflects more clearly the reality, but I never seem to have the camera handy during those moments. :) I find so much light and delight in my family, though, husband-friend and girls both, and I am glad that that reality shines through the cracks!

Everybody else,
These will keep coming till you're sick of them coming out of your ears. (And "crack their heads..." That's a good one! I'll have to try the phrase out on Millie tomorrow...)