11.25.2006


There's no good placement for this picture, which is usually an indicator that I'm making the wrong choice in posting it. For the last few months, I've been at war with a mountain lion in my pantry (water heater) closet. The beast chewed through a plastic bottle of vegetable oil, a bottle of corn syrup, a third of a vegetable shortening lid, and sundry other more typical raids. I set traps, but couldn't find ones big enough for a mountain lion. Then Becky discovered a ketchup bottle on her basement shelves that my mountain lion had chewed through. She gave him lots of poison, and he died on her basement floor. (The soup can is for perspective, and, yes, he's a rather small mountain lion. But no less ferocious!)

6 comments :

Liana said...

That IS some beast! And, you are right...there was NO good placement for that picture!

Anonymous said...

My sympathies. With the cold weather coming on, it seems every critter within a million miles wants to live under our kitchen sink. I've been going through poison disgustingly fast, but seem to be able to at least keep them out of the pantry.

Griffen said...

Wow! We had SO many rats in Sudan, that would wake me rattling through my pots and pans, and when we moved, we discovered a nest underneath our cupboards and a nest of EIGHT rattlings.

But I NEVER had one this big in the house. It must feel very nice to have it done for.

Abigail said...

Well, Something keeps eating piles of poison, so I think my mountain lion may still be on the loose. There are easy escape routes through the walls in this old house; I just hope he doesn't die in one. We'll have to rip a wall out just to drag his mighty corpse from within.

I hope he doesn't guard a nest of eight baby mountain lions anywhere....shiver.

heidiann(e) said...

that's still the biggest mountain lion I have ever seen.

Rebecca said...

And I thought I had it bad...