1.14.2013

Podunk is a Strange Word, but Sometimes it Just Fits

I guess Pip's chummy relationship with cameras started well before our fancy Christmas photo.  Here are the girlies and the lonely boy at the county fair.




I know that every year I subject you to these pictures, but I'm a stickler for tradition.  The children and I went on both of the Free Gate days, sneaking in just under the wire to drop off our entries and then coming back in the sunshine to meander around.





After the first necessary stop to tally up all of our blue and red ribbons (and to mentally calculate all the money we'd made), we were off to buy taffy and elephant ears with the loot!





Over the course of those two days, we bought twenty sticks of taffy because Fowler's taffy and elephant ears are seriously the best darn part of the whole county fair.





We also watched the miniature horse pull,





the goat-dragging competition (this boy was especially impressive),


 


and we walked through the horse barns, stopping for a nursing break/photo op. on the bench outside.
 
 


I am such a beautiful girl.  It's a wonder I can even look in the mirror without the sin of pride.





Here are some snapshots of Luci in a sunsuit, for no other reason than the fact that I think she looks cute in a sunsuit.


 

You're free to disagree, of course.

 
 


Just try to, though.  Go ahead!  I dare you to try.
 

The end of the tale is this: a thank you to Titi for the pickle recipe. (The judges ate almost the entire jar!)

 



Also, the tale ends with enough ribbons to buy 40 cups of chocolate milk plus a ride on the midway at the Great State Fair.  I took no pictures of our other entries, but here's a table of gross, dirty jars.  Good enough?

 

8 comments :

elizabethfrances said...

Ah! You won all those ribbons!
I must tell you that Lucy enjoyed your pickles and often asks about them. When she tastes the fermented pickles Fred makes she tells him that she likes Abigail's better. :)

heidiann(e) said...

yay!

heidiann(e) said...

Oh, and I love that "lonely boy", and the photo of you nursing (yay!), and Pip in a swimsuit is empirically the cutest thing.

heidiann(e) said...

oh, I mean Luci. Oh my. Those girls are growing up fast.

Titi said...

lol, my pickles preceedth me. Isn't there some proverb about a good pickle recipe being worth more than fine gold, or something?

Abigail said...

I will gleefully give Lucy her very own jar on your next visit. :)
and
I'm glad you agree about Luci!
and
Gold? Who'd eat gold? Pickles definitely win out.

Liana said...

you are beautiful, your girls (& little man-child) are, too --and your food...certainly all deserve ribbons!

Abigail said...

Thanks, Liana! Where did your blog go? ;)