7.19.2013

Cherry Picker, My Foot



A friend puzzled over why we would pay for cherries when we have a tree right in our backyard.  If you wondered the same, here are the reasons four-fold:
1.  We don't have a producing sour cherry tree, and I use sour cherries for canned jams and sauces.
 2.  This year, half the blossoms fell off in the early spring monsoon.
3.  Birds and RACCOONS peck and eat cherries before they're ripe enough to pick.
4.  I can only reach the tiniest percentage of cherries. On a previous good year, we picked around 10 quarts.  This year,  trying my darnedest and even on tippy-toe, I barely got three.  However, ladies and gentlemen, that is still three quarts more than zero quarts, so I'm not complaining.


6 comments :

Titi said...

We were sorry we seemed to have missed the cherry season, or else "Apple Hills" got frosted out. I started looking around the first of July, but nobody said. Maybe it was just because I didn't want to drive all the way out to Ithaca.

Anyhow, for us, Cherries = 0. Sad face. Better luck next year.

Abigail said...

Boo! I called Apple Hills the morning we left for the Finger Lakes, hoping to avoid the drive, but they said their season had already ended. I've never picked there before; maybe the demand was too great.

You can fight off the coons for some of our yellow cherries next year.

Abigail said...

p.s. Not true. I actually canned four quarts, and we ate about a quart, so I need to stop complaining.

Rebecca said...

Yes you do need to stop complaining.

Love, the woman who wants cherry trees but has not a one.

Titi said...

No, you don't need to stop complaining. Love, the over-achieving perfectionist who knows exactly where you're coming from. ;) It's the principle of the thing!! (Don't worry, Rebecca, I know where you're coming from, too, I with the cherry-less freezer.)

I thought cherry season was early July, so it didn't even occur to me to check in June. I guess I should look earlier next time!

Abigail said...

Titi,

Cherry season usually is the first week of July, so I was taken by surprise when I heard there had already been picking for a couple of weeks. OUR tree wasn't ready yet, so I didn't even think about calling before July 1st.

Rebecca,
Next spring! If there's a supplier that gives discounts for larger orders, we can even split an order.