7.29.2013

County Fair

 

We raked in a few ribbons at the county fair this year. I forgot about the fair until a few days before, so I didn't have time to sew or doodle anything for it, but we earned more than enough prize money for fried food and then tucked some into our pockets for a ferris wheel ride at the state fair, so it was worth the chaos.


I didn't take pictures of any of our other entries, but with five minutes to spare, I took pictures of our floral entries so we could at least enjoy them as snapshots.  



 


Later in the week, we spent a few hours walking around the fair while John was at work. The midway that used to seethe with excitement in my childhood is now a dinky thing that can be circled in ten minutes flat, but we enjoyed it nonetheless.


The girls loved the bunnies, as always.  Bunnies!  






I had Annie stand in the horse barn so I could check settings for the annual stairstep picture, and I liked it enough to keep.






Snapping the annual stairstep picture, however, was not so effortless.  Observe my results.

One:





Two: 





Three:





Four:





Next year, I'll bring manacles and paste-on smiles for instant success.


Zeke didn't feel very secure when I plopped him on the bench.






Debbie came with us this year, and she took this charming mama-in-the-picture shot for me.   Smashing success!





Here, also for your enjoyment, is a bald eagle speck.  My camera couldna reach closer.




With ribbons dazzling my eyes and the promise of coins clinking in my brain, we indulged in not only a blooming onion but also two elephant ears..  It was a bit of greasy, fried heaven.
  




I tried to get a picture of Ezekiel eating his first elephant ear, but even unpacking my Popeye arms wasn't enough for a good picture.










Sister Deborah is so much handier than Popeye arms.  Thanks, Deb.







Millie and Annie climbed to the top row of the grandstand while we watched the miniature horse pull.  For those unfamiliar with county fair entertainment, the horses pull a load of weights.  People do not pull miniature horses.  Provincial games are all a bit confusing.






I've titled this poignant diptych "Annika Eyes the Elephant Ear, but Mildred Denies Her."





I enjoyed eavesdropping as Annika and Susannah made plans to buy a huge bag of cotton candy with their winnings.






I bought a second bag to appease the rest of the masses (i.e. ME and the other girls).


 


   And that's that.  See you next year!

11 comments :

Molly said...

The county fair is one of my favorite summer posts from you. The floral arrangements are beautiful!

I never visited a county fair until I was married. We took our daughter to the Comal County Fair for several years. I loved viewing the food entries, crafts and the various livestock. Always enjoyable!

Much love!

Titi said...

Ha! I loved your elephant necklace, and your charming mama photo. You're my fashion role-model (not that I want to have your style, but that I want to so comfortably have my own style). If you can do it, I can do it, right??

I can't believe Annika and Susie are about the same height.

heidiann(e) said...

I vote photo take #1 is my favorite. I like how Luci is restraining her Zeke, and how Pip looks like she's waiting for the firing squad.

And I love the photo of all of you, and how Pip's white flip-flops have flopped onto your foot.

Abigail said...

Molly,
They are fun, even the dinky ones, so I'm glad you didn't miss out! :)

Titi,
I know. It's because Annika's such a shorty-pants; pretty soon they're going to have to share a wardrobe, and they're super-excited about it.

As far as fashion goes, that's Annika's necklace from Great Grandma Millie Heck's stash that I regularly steal to wear. (So they deserve the credit.) And of course you can do it! If wearing something makes you grin, that's a good start.

Also, I told you that in high school I occasionally wore polyester leisure suits, right? Maybe sometimes having your own style is not the best idea... :)

Heidi,
Pip was being a pip and trying to ruin the stairstep effect by straining skyward on her tiptoes. When I told her to stop, she then began to crouch low. As you can see in the Mama picture, I have her head firmly (but oh-so-gently) sandwiched in my palms so her face can be seen. Ah, it's like a tender cross between Norman Rockwell and Thomas Kinkade.

Griffen said...

I look forward to your fair pics every year. So many bright colors and faded woods and beautiful spawn:) I LOVE every stair-step pic... every one the smashing success you think you missed. But manacles?!! Hahaha! Yes, please!!!! Great pics, beautiful family, gorgeous you (and congrats on all the ribbons!!!)

Art Teacher said...

I had two favorites in this round of pictures
1. The sisters holding hands and making plans
2. You and your children...you look joyful surrounded by them
Now I feel like I need to find a state fair to attend, or a county one at the very least

Rebecca said...

It's not really fair putting that many pictures on one post because how am I supposed to address EACH and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them?!?!?

Firstly, I think you need to stitch together all the ribbons you win at the fair every year and make yourself a house wrap from them. Your house will be warm and toasty by winter.

I love your yearly stair-step pictures and when your children are grown I think you should print each one and make a timeline tree or something. Or do it now! Because it is cool! My favorite was the first one because of Annie and her joy and because of Pip and her stretch and because of Ezekiel's need to run. I think it is hilarious how Susannah is looking somewhere different in every picture. hehehe But I also really loved the picture of you in it. Debbie- can you come to the fair with us also?

And finally- I love the picture story of Hopeful Annie and The Elephant Eater. Too funny.

Abigail said...

Carly,
Yes, do! They're loads of fun.

Rebecca,
And to think I tossed all of mine! What a foolish girl. I think Debbie should start a business and loan herself out for hire. She's really handy.

Abigail said...

I'M the foolish girl, not Debbie. (Stupid comments.)

Rebecca said...

I knew I would miss one... I wanted to say that my favorite flower bouquet was the nasturnium one. Gorgeous!

Abigail said...

Millie made the two bonafide bouquets. The lilies, echinacea, and nasturtium were simply for the best specimen of a particular flower, so I cheated and just stuffed things in vessels at the last minute. (Actually, Millie was just stuffing things in at the last minute for her bouquets, too. I need to be a better example of preparation.)