9.18.2014

Just Like Wallace, I Love the Stuff

This picture makes me happy.  It's the first batch of fresh mozzarella I've ever made, and I was bursting with the pride of the accidentally successful.  I showed it off to my parents, to my husband, and now to you.  I know millions of people have made mozzarella.  You may have made mozzarella.

But I never had.

And now I have.

And it's delicious.

And I feel like a rock star.





To give due credit to those who deserve it, in my acceptance speech for First Mozzarella of My Life award, I thank 
-this lovely girl and her husband for a clandestine hand-off of what we now call "dessert milk"
-this gorgeous cow for giving that golden-hued milk with which one can make golden-hued cheese if one is accidentally successful
and 
-this guy on youtube, whose method of cheesemaking I kind of followed.  (Shh.  Don't tell anyone, but I had to use 1 and 1/2 tablets of grocery store Junket rennet instead of the real stuff. The real stuff has since arrived from Amazon, but I haven't used it yet.  Stay tuned.)




Tomatoes fresh from the garden, fresh mozzarella, sea salt and black pepper, drizzled balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and fresh basil.

If only I could eat this all day long.


5 comments :

Full of Grace said...

This is one of my favorite treats, except I love a toasted garlic baguette underneath of the other deliciousness :)

heidiann(e) said...

Way to go!

Abigail said...

oOoooh, with a garlic baguette.

Now I can't die until I try it.

Rebecca said...

Way to go Abby! DELICIOUS! I finally perfected mine too- so I got to have those mozzerella/tomato/basil treats before the season ended after all.

YUM.

Abigail said...

Rebecca,
I have a feeling even imperfect mozzarella is pretty darn great. There's this magic cheese has... With all the tomatoes you grew and all the cheese you made, you must have been delirious with deliciousness!