9.18.2014

Words to Live By

Here are a few exchanges I jotted down because I thought they were funny because I'm their mother.
 _______________________________________________________________

After a bath one day, Susie waltzed into the room and exclaimed, "I'm as clean as a weasel!"

She then abruptly paused, with thought-wheels visibly churning, before following it up with
"Are weasels even very clean?  -- pause --
I think that otters are probably cleaner...."

I don't think I want her to know it's supposed to be "whistle" until she's thirty or so.

_______________________________________________________________

I entered a loaf of challah in the county fair this year, and when Annie walked into the kitchen and saw me braiding the dough, she scooted right over.

Annika:  Oooh, that braided bread is so pretty!

Me: Actually, it's called "challah."

Annie: Oh! [nonchalantly]  I know how to put my hair in a challah.

_______________________________________________________________

The girls were playing with a couple of balloons outside, and this was overheard:

Luci: "That balloon died because he got too much fire on him." (Her balloon had caught on fire in the game)

Pip, emphatically: "NO! He died from chambermaids. He had too much of them."

There's your warning, folks. Never, ever, EVER have too many chambermaids.
_________________________________________________________________

The End.

2 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

Wonderful, all.

I was so confused by the weasel comment. Glad you clarified that.

Also, otters are also weasels. So I think she's right, and you're best not to correct her.

Abigail said...

I knew they were both mustelids, but your comment confused me UNTIL I consulted wikipedia. Apparently, I'm British and refer to only the lesser weasels as weasels instead of the entire family as weasels (as the rest of America does; who knew?). This might also explain the corny British accent that pops out of my mouth from time to time.

I blame too much reading of The Wind in the Willows as a child, in which the slimy weasels are clearly distinguished from noble Otter.

The big question is this, though:
Are whistles weasels? And, if they are, how many whistles would a weasel whistle if a weasel could whistle whistles?