12.29.2011

Five Golden Rings



This is the sixth Christmas since John and I joined hands that my increasing belly means more than too many munched cookies. That first Advent, with a modest, inaugural baby belly, I was so utterly caught up in the newness of living with my Heart, teaching high school for the first time, and with the inconceivable fact of life growing inside me that I didn't ponder Mary much, if at all.

For every large-bellied Advent since, though, when my thoughts invariably turn toward the coming Messiah, I feel the smallest kinship with His mother and wonder. What were the curlings of her heart as she touched her rounded belly? When she felt the first impossible fluttering of the King's feet? I find it astonishing-- every time-- that God chose me to carry another little soul within; how much more so did she find it that she carried the very Creator of all souls!

Could there be a more confounding road to redemption? The Lord of all worlds entered this earth by birth through a human woman, and He wrapped Himself not in external glory and power but in the paper fragility of human skin. Skin to be bruised, beaten, and broken. A mystery ineffable.

I'm sitting here in a cold house listening to the harsh wind whistle and shriek around every eave and edge. The world outside is cold and bleak, and the wind hurls the snow past the window in a perfect and unbroken horizontal line, but the coming promise of spring lends even this beauty.
Without the Promise, hope fails.

So it is with the Christ.

Mary knew the words of the prophet Isaiah, and perhaps after Christ's death, she saw her Son in them:

Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was on him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Face to glorious face, she heard the mighty Gabriel proclaim that her heart would also be pierced. From the very beginning, her life as mother carried such weight, with joy and sorrow mingling. This is why, during a season of anticipation and true joy, I can't help but remember His death, as well. Life is shot through with death from the second it begins; light with dark; joy with grief. At the same moment that God accepted the cradle, He also accepted the Cross.

Despair is shot through with Hope.

As we continue (in this house, at least!) to celebrate the twelve days of Christmas and to exult in the birth of a newborn Baby, this is indeed cause for joy. May it be so not just for twelve days of the month but for twelve months of this year and in each and every one to come!

8 comments :

Molly said...

Thank you, Abigail, for this beautiful and inspiring Christmas card. As always, your words of wisdom bring tears to my eyes - tears of joy and enlightenment as I soak in each word of God's Hope for all. And, as always, you are the deliverer of news that lifts my own heart and soul with Praises to Our King!

May the birth of your child be safe and healthy as we anticipate this little one's life journey on page. Prayers are lifted up for the continued good health of the Owen Family.

Much love!

Josh Tate said...

I enjoyed this post on so many levels. It is true, first of all. It is well said and beautifully crafted. I will walk away from my computer and still entertain it in my thoughts for a while. Great post! Thanks for it.

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Art Teacher said...

I think similar thoughts every year...slightly less eloquent thought. Beautiful sentiments about this time of year.

Abigail said...

Thanks for your prayers, Molly! As always, I appreciate them.

And thanks so much for your comments, too, along with Carly's and Josh's (or Sarah's?) kind words. I often question the point of this blog in the big picture and wonder if plunking thoughts that it sometimes seems only I read is worth it.

I don't want an electronic personal journal, so knowing that you find something worth keeping in these lines encourages me.

Thanks!

Abigail said...

((Not that this blog isn't personal, per se. I just prefer to keep the most personal and precious off the computer.)

Michelle P said...

beautifully written...amen and AMEN!

Titi said...

You haven't written since LAST YEAR!! Only one belly picture before the baby gets here?? Think of your fans!!