12.08.2011

Piles of Raw Meat for Vegetarians and Animal-lovers

My brother Andy and my niece Aponi have both shot deer this year, and since Andy is generous, he gave us some.

The arrival of the first deer caused more glee than I think is probably healthy. (Side note: if you're sharp-eyed enough to notice the overflowing garbage can, then please also note the overflowing rack of clean dishes in the sink. Those two piles balance each other out, or so I've heard.)




They inspected the windpipe and the leg movement and the sinews and fat, which you can bet I counted as a science lesson.




At the start, though, our sweet Susie just stood back and softly murmered, "Poah deeah. Poah deah." All she needed was a harmonica.




This is the first year that Millie has expressed an interest in the butchering process. She was fascinated by the whole thing, so I finally let her join in. I'm glad I did, because Andy's giving us a second deer tomorrow morning, and I'll gladly take any help I can get. And, hey, you know, if you're in the area...



3 comments :

Molly said...

Up close and personable I have never been to a deer carcass. I don't know anyone as nice as Andy to bestow such a wonderful gift. I am so impressed that Millie wants to help and equally impressed over the large, industrial saw used to butcher the meat. Venison is delicious and I see many great meals in your future!

Mary said...

Love the expression on Susie's face!

Abigail said...

The saw was actually used to hack off a leg bone for good ol' John Wayne. My folks usually lend us a set of sharp knives to cut the actual meat, but my Dad told me, "Make sure you don't cut through any BONE with those knives!" hence, the saw. :)