2.26.2013

So Was I Once Myself

I've always loved the poem "Birches" by Robert Frost. I read it first in college and was arrested by how familiar and right its images were, by how apt and true its bittersweet longing.

 It captures a piece of my childhood I like to remember, though in the case of my brothers and I, any slender sapling would do.  I've grown too large now, and I miss the exhilaration of a quick shimmy up, the parachute swoop down in a cloud of leaves.
Needless to say, I'm glad to see the girls enjoy trees. Pip is the most recent girl to fall in love, though one evening last summer she climbed too high into the slight upper branches to return, and I had to fetch a ladder to bring her to earth again.  She clambered at least twice as high as she was here and then mewed pitifully like a little cat frozen at the top.

 






 

No comments :