2.27.2013

The Fate of the Pumpkins, for Molly




Many pumpkins made their way into soups, curries, burritos, and pie, but others were set aside for a higher purpose.

 Susie sketched hers on paper before carving.


 


Annie and Millie went to town freehand.
 
 


Pip told me she wanted an owl, so that's what I carved on hers after she emptied the seeds.


And here they are all lined up in the library. 

 

 


_______________________________________________

The jack-o-lantern pumpkins stayed outside for decoration and were frozen, so we eventually gave them to the chickens for a feast, and all feasts must begin with smashing.

Thank you, ma'am.  They enjoyed your gift from start to finish!


5 comments :

Molly said...

Oh My Goodness! I LOVE these pictures and wish I could be there to carve AND smash!!! So glad that they were enjoyed in many different ways. I just picked up a packet of Organic "Big Max" pumpkin seeds to send. The packet says they're capable of becoming "prize pumpkins" growing up to six feet!!!!!! Of course, you don't have to let them get that big.:-)
As you know, I'd love to grow pumpkins but the Texas heat cancels that out...thank you for allowing me to enjoy them through your garden and your beautiful children.

Much love!

Abigail said...

Whoah! Six feet is tremendous! I suppose the six-foot grapefruit you can grow there make up for the lack of pumpkins? :)

Abigail said...

And thank YOU.

Molly said...

Those were some BIG grapefruits! Were they also tasty? Sometimes, size takes away from taste so hopefully, they were juicy and sweet.
LOVED the "golden globe" pictures!

Much love!

Abigail said...

They were DELICIOUS! We enjoyed them thoroughly and stretched them out for as long as we could (we just used the last one up, in fact).

Our computer's been broken, but it's now fixed, so I'll try to email you soon! :)