8.24.2018

Frugal Fancy-Pants: August




This is me getting my Frugal Fancy-pants game face on. It's hard work, folks!


Exhibit A
Wear this frock downtown for a day of errands because you want to use up all those hand-me-down summer dresses before summer ends. Plus, it's time to test the theory that dressing like a lady never hurt a grimy country girl. Know you made the right choice when you smile and say "hullo" to the old woman getting into her car as you get out of yours, and she smiles back and says, "Why, don't you look pretty!"





Dress: hand-me-down (thanks, Deborah!)
Sandals: rummage sale; about a dime
Total cost of outfit: about a dime

Optional accessories
Bracelet: gift (thanks, Becky!)
Earrings: the only pair I've ever bought NEW (so far); Target clearance for $1.39 (or some similar weird price)
Hairband I forgot to take off my wrist: $1.08 divided by 15. Pack of 15 at the dollar store; you do the math. :)



Exhibit B






Decide to use this early morning outfit for FFP because of its significance. It is August. It has been cold and rainy, and I broke out one of my bathrobes. (Yes, I have more than one. Do you have only one pair of underthings? I thought not.)

Let me ensure you understood the important parts. It is August. I'm wearing a bathrobe. In August.

Bathrobe: hand-me-down from Great-Aunt Mabel
Victoria's Secret pajama pants: rummage sale, about a nickel
t-shirt: rummage sale, about a nickel
Total cost of outfit: about a dime

Optional accessories
Bare feet: free!
Floofy snarled hair: also free!

Side-by-side comparison:



Exhibit A (2)

Wear this dress to church in order to decide whether it's worth keeping or not. (Still undecided on that point.)





Dress: purchased at Salvation Army three years ago to alter for an Easter dress for Millie. She never wore it. $3.99
Slingback heels: featured in The Very First Frugal Fancy-Pants post! I don't even remember where I got them now, but apparantly, they were 67 cents.
Total cost of outfit: a shocking $4.68. Way too much!!!

Optional Accessories:
Wooden bracelet: gift
Wooden bead necklace: gift (Becky?)
Earrings: about a nickel
Stupid right-arm pose: I don't even know why I still do this. At least Annika has forced me to start smiling, right?




Side-by-side comparison:





2 comments :

Rebecca said...

Are you kidding me? DEFINITELY worth keeping!

Abigail said...

ARGH. I'd decided to get rid of it, but now I'm waffling again. You were supposed to say, "Meh. Yeah, get rid of the thing."

Such a stupid thing to waffle over. No wonder paring down takes me longer than it should.