8.24.2018

L. Con 3



At the beginning of June, John, Skylark, and I ran away for the weekend for the (now-annual!) meeting of minds to celebrate and soak in the works of R.A. Lafferty. John's parents- saints that they are- drove straight from Tennessee, where they were helping Bryan and Sarah pack for a move, to Nanticoke, where they could relax and rest with EIGHT CHILDREN. (Ha!) Bless their bones.

Right before we left, I finished making a big chicken pot pie, and I asked Millie to assemble it. When I walked past her to the door, I noticed her hurrying with the pie slits in order to say goodbye to us, but it wasn't until she brought it out that I noticed the subtle, crusty message.


 




Or not-so-subtle...






The con is John's brainchild, and he leads the day's events, so Skylark and I had to spend some time on our own. We hung out here Friday evening while John set up and then after dinner on Saturday night while he talked business with the big-wigs. Remember him?  She looks even cuter on that big bed. (SO BIG. We could lie three-to-it and still have space for an additional body between each of us. Craziness.)








As usual, I overestimated the amount of time I'd have for reading while I was away, especially considering the Kindle contained several books I was dipping into.










Skylark was the only baby there. Weird. I was able to listen in on about half of the lectures and panels during the day and spent the rest of them walking around trying to get Lark to sleep, or, if that failed, taking pictures of us together.

Best selfie ever.





Clearly, this one's second-rate.





I will never tire of time with this bearded fellow, my Friend of all friends. I rarely take pictures of him, but Yakov V. has no such compunction, and while lending his skills to record the event, he took this one of us. I love it even more for its rarity. Thank you, Yakov! (...who does not know this blog exists.)



2 comments :

Rebecca said...

How neat! I love your stack of books. I got some good book ideas from it!
I just finished Godric a few weeks ago. It was unlike anything I have ever read- brilliant, beautiful and profound. Thank you for sharing that with me.

When going to Holland, my suitcase was only half-packed because, really, how many clothes does one need anyway? A full quarter of what was packed was books and knitting projects. For the same reasons- but I didn't have time for much of anything anyway. Ah well.

Abigail said...

i recommend them all, but my opinion of Seeing Stone is lukewarm. It's a YA book I read to see if it was worth keeping to give as a Christmas gift. It's okay, but nothing I'd spend a couple of hours with again.

I think you spent your time overseas just the way you should have! There is a sense of security and home in having books and projects along, though, isn't there? I always pack sketch paper and pencils...and never do away what I never make time for at home. C'est la vie!