2.01.2007

My aunt Alice approached me with the brilliant idea to make a quilt for her, to give back in part some of the love Mom has sewn into the dozens upon dozens of quilts she's given away while never keeping one for her own bed. Aunt Alice not only had this brainchild, but she then selflessly offered to assemble the entire quilt for the contributers. All of Mom's children sewed, embroidered, and/or designed at least one square, and all of her sisters made one, as did one of my cousins and two of Becky's children. It was pretty cool to see her face when she opened it.




________________________________________________________________

I'd planned to have the party at my place, and I baked and scrubbed in preparation, but when nearly 60 relatives R.S.V.P.'d the day before the party, I started calculating how much excess furniture I could move out into the snow without irrevocable damage. (John and I once crammed over 30 people into our tiny apartment in Buffalo, but that's not to say stuffiness and smushing provide the best party ambience.) My sister Becky is the greatest. With less than 24 hours notice, she offered to have the party moved two doors down to her apartment, even though she's got enough on her plate for several mothers to chew on. It really was much nicer in her more spacious home, and I'm grateful that she bailed her thoughtless, little sister out. I didn't snap even one shot of the party, so Becky bailed me out again by letting me pilfer the following photos. (Thanks, Beck!)


Luke and Joel share laughs with Uncle David and Aunt Lorraine.


The kids loved the quilt as much as Mom did, if not more.


Susannah on Papa's lap


Watching Mom open gifts.


Debbie holding Amanda and Audra.


I'm posting this last one because my Dad rarely looks this animated. Yeehaw!

5 comments :

Full of Grace said...

Great and Big Party :)

Rebecca said...

Amanda and Audra are getting so BIG! The only thing I can think is how great it was that Debbie had on TWO necklaces! ;-)

YOur party was a smashing success, looks to me!

Rebecca said...

I didn't realize the quilt photo was attached to this post...so here I am again!

That quilt is BEAUTIFUL and such a TOUCHING idea it was! I am sure she just LOVED it.

This photo has got me motivated to start up my friendship quilt project...you know, the one that was abandoned to the wayside when we moved, never being unearthed from my craft room since...

AND-it gives me hope that, though there was no color scheme OR any specific block requirements for said quilt, I will be able to pull it all together nicely.

What a thoughtful idea-and I love that the sons were not 'excluded' just because they were sons.

Abigail said...

Definitely put that quilt together. The strips joining the blocks and bordering the quilt could easily pull the quilt into a unified whole. (Can you tell I'd be interested in seeing the finished product?)

Anonymous said...

I have heard so much about this quilt from Leah, and I am very happy to see a photo of the finished product! It is beautiful, and a lovely, tangible memory for your mom.

Michelle