4.06.2007

Dots



The apron used a goodly portion of the red sheet, but the leftovers, when supplemented by the scrap of fabric left from these and a cut-off turtleneck sleeve from McGamma, formed enough fabric for a dotsy doll dress, which, after my apron euphoria, became my second garment sewn. Anyone who's a fine seamstress (Titi!) isn't allowed to look closely. (And nobody snicker at me for using the phrase 'apron euphoria.')

I didn't use a pattern, but I wish I had, because I'd like to duplicate it without tedium for Mildred, who now looks covetously at Annika's doll. Pictures of two doll aprons to come.

I wanted it to easily fit over this giant head and to accomodate dolls of other sizes, too.



A creepy picture, but here's Annie's baby wearing her ankle-length dress.



And here's my old rag doll wearing the same knee-high dress.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Posh. When you design your own dress, full of character, that brilliantly fits dolls of several sizes, cleverly using up the very last scraps, and, to top it all off, is actually completed. . .it is, de facto, very good sewing indeed. No matter how closely you look.

heidiann(e) said...

it just makes me smile so!

Rebecca said...

Nicely done! And clever to fit lots of dolls!

Where is Millie's embroidery though? Or is that for a different dress?

Liana said...

Oh man... the pictures of the dolls are all that will load... here I was SO hopeful. I'll just have to try, try again!

Griffen said...

I was having trouble loading too... now they're all here, in all their glory.

This little dress might be small enough for future Owen daughters to come (not that you couldn't have a son, but I don't think this particular bit of sewing would be good on a boy:)

Abigail said...

Titi, despite your assurance, you're STILL forbidden to look closely. Nice try, Missy.

Rebecca,
Millie's work is on the apron. I'll post it tonight or tomorrow.

Sandy,
The only other doll dress the girls have for their dolls (apart from the pajamas they arrived with) is a handmade pink doll dress that I had Millie wear as a newborn. She was born just under six pounds, so I think you're right about this dress.