4.06.2007

New Growth....and Death




Broccoli, red bell pepper, jalapenos, and two leeks in the bathroom. Yes, Titi, I said TWO leeks. I didn't put a note on the stove. "Surely," I thought, thought me, "Surely I need no note to remember to take the leeks out of the oven before I turn it on to preheat."

Melted leek and potato soup isn't exactly gourmet fare, so it's a good thing I'll be scouring the woods for wild leeks in a few weeks. Wild leek and potato soup sounds delicious...

So I ordered some genetically unaltered seeds from Fedco's this year.
My hopes rest on...

Parsley
Sweet Basil
Greek oregano
cilantro
German chamomile
lemon balm
dill
chives
leeks
Dark Norland Red potatoes (yet to arrive)


half a dozen varieties of lettuce and mesclun mix

Waltham Butternut Squash
Baby Pam pumpkins
jalepeno hot pepper
pickling cukes
suhyo long slicing cucumber
red sweet bell pepper
Pricipe Borghese cherry tomato
sungold cherry tomato
Gentry summer squash
Black zucchini


Most of these I'll direct sow after danger of frost has passed, and I'll buy all other seeds and plants locally once spring hits. My nose twitches anticipating the smell of newly dug soil, and my unsmudged hands feel naked.
Come, spring, and welcome!

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

I toollllld you!! Lol! We've melted a lot of yet-to-be-seedlings in the past. My only saving grace now is that our new-fangled stove doesn't have any pilot lights (which I hate, because it means you can't use the oven during a power outage, which is nearly indecent).

Did anything besides the leeks get melted on you? I do have plenty of leeks, so if you'd like some of my seedling-leeks, just let me know. They're growing detirmindly at this point.

heidiann(e) said...

oh, how i love to see that list!
for one, i love lists, and for two, i love seeds now so much.
my list is so much shorter, i think you may have inspired me to nudge phil into letting me get more. then again, with no raised beds yet ready, maybe i ought to start small.

we may get to start all our seeds in the lush luxury of phil's work's greenhouse. that's good, because i'd probably melt them too, even though we don't even have an oven.

let's go leek-hunting together!

Rebecca said...

Oh-lists such as these get me giddy! I am trying my best NOT to plan a list this year because we will no doubt, not be here to harvest. It is a very traumatic form of torture...

Abigail said...

Titi,
Nearly two weeks after their brethren showed their heads, TWELVE other leeks have unfurled. This makes me very happy.

Heidi,
You're a born planter and nurturer and grower, and I'm glad you'll have dirty hands! Lucky duck about the greenhouse. It pays to have connections in that husband of yours. I'd like to hunt leeks with you. And fiddleheads. And just about anything, I think.

Rebecca,
I sympathize. I do! Last year, I thought for sure we'd have no garden, but we were able to frantically squeeze one in at the beginning of July. That's about the latest possible start, but we had a bountiful harvest, so don't lose hope entire!

Abigail said...

Oh, and no, I did not melt anything else. Yet...