4.28.2008

Breaking News on Buster

Yes, I have new pictures of Buster, but they're upstairs, and I'm lazy, and, besides, they look almost identical to the last ones I posted. (You know, those sweet, little lips and a shadowy profile outlined with white.)

News One: Toward the end of the sonogram, the technician last week (the same who thought Buster was such a pretty baby) absent-mindedly said that "she" wouldn't uncurl. SHE?!?!?!???!!! Then, before she left the room, we talked about my powerful lack of women's intuition when it comes to predicting our children's sex, and she said, "Well, I can't even tell what this baby is!"

As kind and pleasant as she seems, I'm suspicious of this woman. Is she honest? Can she be trusted? Does she habitually refer to babies as "she" and "pretty" if she can't determine the gender? Is she trying to trick me into thinking Buster may very well be a girl simply because it'd be funny to hear of my surprise when he comes out a boy (which he will if he is, you know, regardless of the nasty names she calls him beforehand)?

In spite of this woman's plotting, Buster still seems boyish to me, which, if I'M to be trusted, means that he's definitely a girl.

News Two: We also found out that the vessels causing the vasa previa are indeed some of Buster's umbilical cord vessels. Thank you for your prayers! I remain thankful for no symptoms so far, even more so now that I know that any symptoms could mean damage to Buster's lifeline.

3 comments :

CBPARIS said...

Hi! I just wanted to congratulate you on your prenatal diagnosis of vasa previa. Not having read your entire blog, I have no idea how far along you are, but I'm guessing between 24 and 30 weeks?

I too had a vasa previa pregnancy. In 1996. The outcome wasn't good. Awareness was so poor back then. But today that has changed a great deal.

I work with the International Vasa Previa Foundation IVPF.org and welcome you to visit the site. Even though you were diagnosed, sometimes there are questions about management. We also have an email list with many expecting mothers on it, all with vasa previa. groups.yahoo.com/group/Vasa_Previa Just mention when you subscribe that Cindy sent you.

Once again, congrats! This diagnosis is the most precious gift you will ever receive.

Cindy Paris, Secretary
International Vasa Previa Foundation
http://IVPF.org
Cindy.Paris@vasaprevia.com

sarah said...

Oh, those crazy Vasa Previa people! Jump on board, Fabigail! It may be worth the ride.


But really, I wanted to say that the technicians, after seeing what my babies were, always called them "she"s. You can't be wrong EVERY TIME, right? You can't always be right about being worng, right?
Right?

Abigail said...

Thanks for the congratulations. I'm grateful for the diagnosis.

Once I deciphered your comment, Sarah, I think I agree. I think? Maybe? I can't always be right about being wrong, which means I'll be wrong and prove my gut right, which means I'll be right and no longer wrong, which means that my women's intuition has finally arrived. Right?