4.28.2008

Slowly Growing Old, Said She

I'm 29 now.

Twenty-nine
Ain't I fine
One more year
'til my decline.

(Give me some slack. That was completely spur-of-the-moment, like beat poetry without the beat. Or the poetry.)

We spent a wonderful day together. As my gift, John hauled boxes of books out of our closet that he's stored since last summer and took them to the Phoenix to sell. This may not seem like much, but they've been a thorn in my mildly domestic side for nearly a year, and now they're gone. Hurrah! Then, without having planned to, we drove to Syracuse and walked around the Carousel Mall. We didn't spend money there, but we did enjoy reading comic books.



This is where we spent some book money-- the Dinosaur Bar-b-que, a biker's barbeque haven. Susannah was shocked at all she saw.



And then we drove home in the sunny evening, hair wind-whipped and bellies full of pork.



The fact that I have only three pictures from a day of birthday living speaks the facts. We enjoyed each other's company for the first day of my new year, a year in which I hope for many more moments that are too fine for cameras.

6 comments :

Laura said...

I love the dinosaur bbq... wish I could get some of that in sw florida. Oh Syracuse, food is the only thing that I miss from there.

sarah said...

Happy Birthday!! Twenty nine is actually your first year out of your twenties, you know.

I'm glad I get to share a birthday month with you.

heidiann(e) said...

happy belated tax day, ooble.
love you dearly, chum o' mine!

Abigail said...

My first meal ever in Syracuse (unless baked potatoes at The Great NYS Fair count), and it was yummy. We didn't have any leftovers to mail you, though...

Sarah,
Thanks for nothing. I'm already in decline then, huh?

Heidi,
Love you, too, and I hope your Tax Day celebration was equally marvelous!

Abigail said...

A good friend gently nailed me for carrying Annika in the last picture. Let it be known that shadows are deceptive! John was carrying Millie on his shoulders while Annika walked next to him, and I carried a featherweight Bird, her weight distributed nicely over my more than ample hip.

There.

Now you can all rest easy, 'cause I'm sure every last one of you has lost sleep over that snapshot.

Michelle P said...

I must admit, that picture immediately brought out the nurse in me. You received a mental tisk tisk. :) But, now that I have been assured that all are safe, I can rest easy and wish you a very Belated Tax Day!! :) Hope it was grand! And because I have a lousy memory, can you remind me when Buster is expected to arrive?