4.12.2008

Yup. Ohio is Paradise.


For a year now, John's been anticipating the boardgamegeek's version of paradise on Earth, also known as game designer Alan Moon's invitation-only event Gathering of Friends, during which geeks play games. For. Ten. Days. John's only staying a week, but months ago, the girls and I opted to stay home, even though the hotel has a pool that will be empty because all patrons are busy playing board games. Because I'm now on bed rest, this decision turned out perfectly.

Backtrack. Last year for John's birthday I made him a card-- yeah!--but in the card was my pledge to save every penny I made consigning clothes at Fabulous Finds to send him to paradise...er...Ohio. I hoarded $250 by December, but then the week before Christmas John suggested I sell his button maker and all accessories on Ebay. (If you went to Houghton, chances are good that you made some buttons on the button maker, wore buttons made on the button maker, or, at the very least, saw others wearing buttons made on the button maker. I remember one late night in particular, giddily pulling the lever down only to see smushed and mangled buttons at the end-- argh!)

We discovered that button makers are a good way to make money on Ebay--crazy boatloads of money. I was shocked at how high button fanatics bid, and my blood pressure soared along with the bids as I imagined winners opening the packages to say, "WHAT?!?!? I paid 100 bucks for THIS?!?" The final bids convinced me that I must have accidentally implied that the button maker and accessories were gilt with gold, but not one person was dissatisfied, and we easily made enough money to send John to Ohio and back again, all expenses paid.




It may seem silly, but I thank God for blessing those auctions with insane button fanatics so that we could send our lovable board game fanatic on a trip that he would otherwise never go on (and, unless we run across some more button makers, will probably never be able to duplicate). Thank you, insane button fanatics!

So, last Sunday, the evening arrived, and we drove into town to say goodbye. We were loathe to part, but at least the setting was romantic.



Millie doled out candy bottlecaps to everyone.


Susannah tried to squirrel hers away in the change slot.



Annika was serious about the deer hunting game; thankfully, she doesn't really know that it would be more exciting if we actually put money into it.
(Shot snapped by John.)



And then, we went out to the parking lot for proper goodbyes. In Annie's case, this requires her squid kiss, a kiss that can last forever and will deprive oxygen to the brain if one doesn't pull her off.



Millie squeezes mercilessly with steel-trap arms while laughing. I think both are appropriate ways to send a beloved to paradise.




I also sent my Heart off appropriately, but there is no picture, and never you mind how I did it.

We miss him horribly and my nights seem empty, but he comes home tomorrow! Sing!

2 comments :

Rebecca said...

Hurray for button makers, dork conventions, and speedy reunions! Hope yours was happy!

heidiann(e) said...

i like susannah's pants.