7.30.2011

7/30

I always sit by the window when I type these posts, and tonight that choice rewards me with the keening song of coyotes outside the window and a strong, cool wind that makes me shiver.

I welcome them both.

Moths gather by the dozens, light-compelled to flutter against the screen, their wings a blur of dull browns and greys. With no knowledge of futility, they'll stay as long as the light shines.

This morning, just as driven, just as aimless, I went for a walk through a fresh-cut field and into the woods. It's been a blue moon since I simply walked and sat in the stillness of a sunny morning without a destination, goal, or overt purpose. It is good to do so. Observing small things and hearing quiet noises-- the wind in timothy, one lonely cloud shaped like a hand, a brown rabbit too curious for its own good, coarse stubble in my shoe.

And, now, dark quiet all around, broken by mindless barking from the yard and minor noises as John moves through the kitchen. I am more tired than I have been in a long time.

May we all find rest tonight.

2 comments :

trawlerman said...

You'll get better at rabbit hunting.

Abigail said...

You write that as if I wasn't ALREADY the most skilled rabbit hunter you know.