7.30.2011

Frugal Fancy(literal)pants* #2

*See the genesis here.

I've had grand plans for a FANCY frugal fancy-pants post, one with glossy poses and airbrushed noses, but, unfortunately, plans are never enough.

The last two months have provided 8 Sundays in which I've worn outfits worthy of this post, outfits which practically begged me to showcase them, but I turned them down in favor of

1. unbuckling children from carseats
2. hauling bags in from the car (why does it feel like I pack for a vacation each time we go to church?)
3. kicking off the ridiculous heels that I wear because I'm vain
4. making popcorn for supper
5. tucking sweaty daughters into bunkbeds
6. flopping down on the couch
and, most importantly
7. staring at the fly that just won't stop buzzing around the room.

I'll try to impress you next time, but for now, please accept this meager offering.

Exhibit A:

Suggestion: Wear this outfit when taking your daughter to the physician for a mysterious lump that refuses to diminish.





-Wedge-heel sandals: free in trade
-High-waisted, wide-legged jeans: rummage sale
-Vintage polyester tank that belonged to an old woman: rummage sale
-Gray pleather belt: rummage sale
-Black bead necklace: rummage sale
-Gray/black gauzy scarf that belonged to an old (once young) woman: rummage sale
Total cost of outfit: about 30 cents

Optional accessories:
droopy eyes: cost- loss of a good night's sleep
cat's tail: cost- too many bags of cat food


Exhibit B:

Suggestion: Wear this outfit when you want to get caught in a thunderstorm and frantically plant seed potatoes.





-Boots: a gift
-Jean shorts from the mid-90's: rummage sale
-Shirt: hand-me-down
-Sweatshirt: post-baby gift-card purchase (I don't remember...$4.00?)
Total cost (in actual dollars spent): about ten cents

Optional accessories:
-shovel, hammer, tape measure (if you want to look authentic)
-fifteen pounds of aged manure smeared all over your body (if you want to smell authentic)


Until next time, let's be frugal, fellow fancy-pants!

6 comments :

Abigail said...

Note: John hauled a thousand pounds of manure up the hill for me to use in the garden. The aforementioned fifteen pounds is only that which coated me when Millie took the picture. When planning garden fertilization, always set aside fifteen pounds of manure for personal beauty use.

trawlerman said...

Now that's ravishing!

trawlerman said...

Ravishing!

Unknown said...

I really love your shirt and belt combo. Tried it yestday myself...felt a little self-conscious. I *think* I pulled it off (it *did* hide my permanent halfway outie belly button due to repeated pregnancies (ha, ha) so that's a win for me. But on the flip side maybe everyone was too afraid to tell me I looked like a dork :o)

Haven't tried the manure look yet...

alltheposts said...

Fancy-pants is always the highlight of my day!! Thanks Abby!!!

Abigail said...

Kiley,
I've found that one can get away with just about anything when one pretends one doesn't feel like a dork, and now everyone who saw you is rushing out to buy another belt. :) One, one, one....there's got to be an easier way for grammatical correctness.

Torie,
This one was a little flat, but I'll put more effort into the next one! Maybe. I hope.