7.30.2011

Last Hurrah




The half-dead cherry tree in the backyard astounded me for the second time this year, spilling over with yellow globes. Such a wonder!

Looking out the living room window, this was my first inkling that the cherries were nearly ripe.



(Aside: The headband Pip wears is the one Annie made her for her birthday. Cute....as a button. Groan.)









Cadie, as soon as the prodigal hat arrived, Annika wore it nonstop for the next week! Thank you. :)






And that cherry pitter you see Birdie using below? I borrowed it from my mom to make canning pass more swiftly, and, boy, does it ever work better than a hairpin. Fellow cherry canners, take note. Put the bobby pins back in the drawer. Buy or borrow a cherry pitter.




While you're at it, buy or borrow a Bird. They're tops.



5 comments :

trawlerman said...

I ordered a box of cherry pitters. It's on its way.

Abigail said...

I wish, Amazonian.

Caleb said...

Don't use cherry pitters! Nice, stiff, plastic Silly Straws work great, and you can suck out the cherry juice afterwards!

cadie said...

Yes, the stiff silly straws worked better than the cherry pitter for us. Plus, there were enough Silly Straws to go around (don't know where we got them from, but we had a lot!) whereas there weren't of cherry pitters.

Annika looks very happy (not to mention cute) in her hat, so I'm glad I was able to send it back with Debbie.

I love that last shot of Susannah.

Abigail said...

The funny thing about your comments is that the week before we picked cherries, I de-cluttered the kitchen drawer and tossed out all of our silly straws.