7.30.2011

Gen. George Washington Would Be So Proud

The curlers served an additional purpose save independence. We went to a circus party! I love circuses, about which loyal readers weary of hearing, and we happily forewent our usual celebration.

I kicked myself for only taking a dozen pictures, until I saw the color that Rebecca, hostess extraordinaire, captured with her camera. Here are my paltry few, but, by all means, see more here. (And you really should, 'cause it was fantastic.)

We left our house in a whirl, as usual, and I unrolled everyone's curlers and applied face paint in the van. This was less than fun, but why break with tradition?

Here's Pip an hour into the party. She held fast to her wish to be a tiger, so a tiger she was, smeared face paint and all.







Annika wanted to be a tightrope walker; lo and behold!-- there was a tightpipe at the party!







Susannah was a trapeze girl, which provided the perfect excuse for eye glitter, pleasing her immensely.





Little Lu was my baby clown.





She couldn't have cared less what I called her, as long as I permitted her to splash in the water for several hours. I did. When night fell, I had to strip her because she was soaked to the gills and shivering.

Adelé is not my child, but if her parents ever tire of her, Piper and I will gladly claim her as our own. You hear that, Mister & Mistress? GLADLY!







For nearly ten minutes, I watched Adelé try her best to clean the nasty red circle off of Luci's nose, to no avail. It was hysterical. She doggedly splashed and scoured, splashed and scoured, and didn't even let Piper distract her from the task.







Millie was a bareback rider, and she decorated her hobby horse with ribbons only to discard it once we arrived in favor of nobler pursuits.












Susannah on the trapeze.







Have you ever seen a trapeze artist having such a jolly time?





John was our chauffeur but declined to dress up, and I have no pictures of him, but here I am, makeup worn and weary, at the tail end of the night with the founder of the feast. (Dude and Dude-mom: note the shoes!)





Here's to crazy pals who like to stress themselves silly! Three (silent) cheers for the mime!




6 comments :

trawlerman said...

It was better than this circus:

http://youtu.be/gauReGP_Tps

Abigail said...

Who needs his?!

Unknown said...

oh my!!! what fun!

alltheposts said...

The shoes!!!! LOVE THE SHOES!!!

Michelle P said...

Wow. a circus indeed! It's amazing how curls can change a girl's look...I barely recognized some of them!! You all look lovely in your curls...and I think you're the best dressed clown I've ever seen...shoes and all! :)

Abigail said...

The awesome shoes came from my parents-in-law. They belonged to John's dad, and I believe that John wore them in third grade or thereabouts for Hallowe'en.

My feet and the feet of time-warped, little boy John have shared the same shoes. Creepy? Cool? Take your pick.