7.30.2011

She Curled Her Hands Around the Mug*



*Johnson children- you know what I mean...

Before I married John, my parents took our family cherry-picking around July 4th of every year. My brothers and sisters and I climbed trees, had cherry fights, ate our weight in cherries, and came home with enough brimful buckets to can for jams and pies and sauces and all manner of winter eating.

This year, John and I took the girls for the second time since we moved from Buffalo, and we continued with all of the above save the cherry-fighting. I run a tight ship. No cherry fighting allowed!

I only took a few pictures because moments after stepping out of the van, cherry juice dripped to my elbows from all the eating picking of cherries and filling of buckets that immediately ensued.



Piper enjoyed the experience.




As did Luci.






A Nixie hides away.



A Bird contemplates life and worms.




Millie finds a bug.




There were also cherries.


4 comments :

trawlerman said...

Um, I left my money at home. Could we get these 80lbs of cherries that we've already picked for a smile?

Abigail said...

For anyone else who reads this, I should clarify.

It was only 40 pounds of cherries. Plus, I did have 3/4 of the money. Plus, I've got a biiiig smile.

cadie said...

Lol. We were afraid the same thing was going to happen to us. I don't think big, bearded, burly people's (or small, bearded burly people; or maybe we should just leaved it at bearded!) smiles work as well, so good thing we wound up having enough money on hand. (Though I suppose I could have given it a shot with my smile.)

Abigail said...

It worked like a charm for us! Of course, I left my bearded burly and sweaty children in the non-air-conditioned car and flashed my grin in the foreground. I think the sweating children actually elicited the mercy rather than my grin. The kind owner could see them in the background when I discovered my shortage.