2.19.2014

A First Museum: Dip Your Toes In

The area in which we live is known more for economic and personal depression than it is for vibrant arts and culture, but, even so, it offers a small museum to which I've wanted to take the girls for a few years now.  A partly spur-of-the-moment decision led me to severely shorten naptime and take everyone while John was still at work, lingering past supper (which we had not eaten).  Yeah, it sounds dumb in print, but it ended up working out pretty well, all things considered.

The older three girls had free tickets from a local reading program, and thanks to reduced admission for the rest of us, it cost a total of $4.00 for the children and I to spend several hours perusing their exhibits.  Sorry for the poor quality of these highlights.  The lighting was dim, I was lugging Zeke around in a front-carry wrap, and, let's be honest, I'm just not a pro, people.

One of their favorite parts was the train model room, which was built and landscaped in accord with local towns.











An exhibit of Native American artifacts was also a hit.  Annie couldn't wait to show Lucinda the wooly mammoth tusk and tooth, and we took a picture of the pipes for the Papa.





Susie:  "Here, Mama.  This is how you tell if she's a real person or not....  phhhhtttthht!"
Thank goodness, she was not a real person.






The museum was filled with Christmas trees with different themes and from different countries.  Susie favored this one, all blue and silver and dripping with birds.





Lucinda was overjoyed when we pointed out that she had a doll twin underneath this tree, and she scurried over to introduce herself.





Trees of many lands: 





Japan!  Mexico!





POLSKA!  (The percentage of Polish blood running through my veins demanded I set my children up like bowling pins in front of the Polish tree.)  Oh, Lucinda, my little Polish elf...





This is a small, niche museum, and the paintings were scarce, but here are my two favorites. Trains and newspaper man.















I was pleasantly surprised by this small exhibit featuring ancient Greek, Egyptian, and Roman art and vessels.  It fit in so nicely with what we'd just finished studying that I allowed myself the luxury of pretending I planned it.









Piper was utterly taken with this sculpture.  The "giant balls" were her favorite part of the whole night, I think.  Look how sweet...





Stuffed birds?!!!  Right next to the Christmas trees of the world?!  Sure thing!  I love culture.





The Civil War exhibit that's currently running was one of my favorite parts.   It included artifacts of all sorts from the period-- human hair mementos, clothing, old cameras, a "pull your name from a hat" box for the draft, weapons,






a replica of a military camp, complete with a startled musician, 




and my children, the best part of the whole thing.





The museum is built flush with an old mansion, a local landmark that has been almost completely restored in period decor.  During the Christmas season, though, it wraps itself up in Victorian excess, each room different from the last.  





My favorite:

















Shortly after, we rushed to pick John up from work and headed home for a late supper of something substantial and nutritious (probably popcorn and cheese or something similar).  I arrived home with a migraine, but in case you're wondering...yes, it was worth the effort, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 



5 comments :

Titi said...

Some day when you are "in the area" with the girls, stop by at BCC and tour the display cases in the new Natural Science building. . .butterflies and bugs and stuffed birds of so many different kinds. Second floor is a little more "big kid"--floods and such--but there is a fun display about someone tracked the path of a ton of rubber duckies that fell in the ocean and came up on the shore. I can't remember what's on the third floor. . . I think there's a fish tank up there.

Anyhow--it's very small, but! It Is FREE! (Plus, if you come when I'm there, you can get a tour from me, and that's nearly worth the trip right there!)

heidiann(e) said...

What a fantastic adventure!
It looks like a great museum destination.

Abigail said...

Ooh! Thanks for the tip, Titi! We go out about once a month, if that, during the winter, but I'll keep it in mind. Very cool.

Rebecca said...

The reading man was my favorite of the bunch too. There was another one too that I loved but it has been years since I went (we never did get out to it this year...). I seem to think it was a girl with sheep-but it could have just been a girl.

Glad you were finally able to go to it! I've only been at Christmastime and I can't help but wonder at how it would pale in comparison any other time of the year, after such a glittering spectacle at Christmas.

Abigail said...

I thought you went last year? I'm probably loopy, but I remember kicking myself when I read your post because I had intended to take the girls LAST year. Oops. I've been sitting on their free admission tickets for about two years and always forgot about them around Christmas-time, but I couldn't imagine going at any other time of year! You're right. It just wouldn't be the same.