2.19.2014

Thanks








Since we were hosting everyone for Christmas Day, we had a smaller group for Thanksgiving.  All the adults could even fit at one table, which is a rare occurrence, indeed. 






These pristine pictures are so very misleading.  I don't even know why I post them because the kitchen was piled high with dirty pots from floor to ceiling.  Perhaps pictures are my way of creating order out of what is often anything but.



 










Still, a near all-nighter spent baking and cleaning plus extra help from Deb in the morning made those sparkling pictures above a reality...for one day, at least.  







John had to work, but I made sure to make him a name card during the middle of night, too, if only so that I could eat more than one.





I took these pictures before my Mom arrived with her portion of the food.














When she showed up with a SECOND turkey and as many side dishes as I already had on the table, we had to fill the counters, too.






Thank goodness we could squeeze all the pies onto the stove.  





The girls helped decorate their table; yup, that's a chicken feather in the place of honor.











 



We ate leftovers for the next week, and each bite was evidence of the wealth God has allowed us for this time-- measures heaped up and spilling over.  May we never take it for granted.


And here's the luxury of a lingering Thanksgiving evening-- slow moments, easy conversation with people we love, and lots of reading on the couch, cookies in hand.











 

3 comments :

Titi said...

I've never made cookies like that, and I've never done hair so fancy like that. The pies do look strangely familiar, though. . .

Full of Grace said...

How do you and my sister do it?? You always have things so beautiful, all year long but especially around the holidays, never missing a beat or a beautiful touch..I just don't understand it- can you and my sister PLEASE send some of your flair my way?!?!?

Abigail said...

I can take credit for the cookies and three of the pies; Debbie, however, gets ALL the credit for that beautiful hair. I do rat's nests really well, but royal hairdos such as those are more rare around these parts.

Elizabeth,
I could say the same about you! I really enjoyed your photographs of Christmas because you'd created so much beauty in your home! It's always fun to dress things up for the holidays, isn't it? At least on this end, it feels kind of like Cinderella trading her sooty dress for the ball gown. :)