2.19.2014

Roman Party

In Which a Bad Homeschooling Mama Finally Exerts a Bit of Effort,
But Only Because Food Is Involved

______________________________


 The girls wanted me to preserve them in photographs, so I snapped these lackluster pictures of shining ladies.  They were wealthy Romans dripping with ornaments-- necklaces, bracelets....clip-on earrings-- and swathed in bathroom towels finely woven linen.





I hesitate to show favoritism, but no one can deny that Luci's the most dazzling of all.












It was a feast similar in spirit to our Greek one but improved upon with sheet-n'-towel togas. 

Menu:

-chicken with vinegar, oil, and spices (just like Uncle Julius used to make)
-spiced wine (homegrown grape juice)
-this honey flatbread
-raisins, cheese, homegrown pears and apples drizzled with honey, and the last of the fancy pecans mailed from Texas (thank you, Molly!) 
-broccoli and cucumbers imported from the exotic shores of Grocery Store
-leftover fancy fruit brought home by Papa after his great conquest of Work Party
-rosemary olive oil bread
-roasted brussel sprouts




 





Half an hour before the party, I asked the girls to run out to the garden and pick brussel sprouts for roasting.  I had forgotten that Rome was in a state of arctic freeze and the sprouts would be ice balls.  Oops.   (They were delicious, anyway.)






I think my favorite part of history is the eating part.  Judging by these faces, it may be theirs, too.










I'm glad this one isn't really Roman nobility.  She was insufferable for the whole meal ('cause I was the slave, you know).








And THIS one looks like she was plotting the downfall of the emperor while nibbling strawberries.






Piper was a natural and wore her towel-toga with grace.












Millie looked too old for my liking. This has been happening too often lately.







This gladiator slipped in the back door when no one was watching.  He brought a big thumbs up from the latest football game at the Coliseum.








Annika would not be happy with me for posting this, because when she asked me to take a picture of her Roman jewels, she specifically requested I NOT include the pirate tattoos.  I thought it was funny, though, so I kept them.  So much for Roman nobility.



6 comments :

Titi said...

I would accuse you of coaching Susannah Wren in sophisticate drama, EXCEPT. . .I have met Susannah Wren, and I think she was born with it coursing in her veins.

Full of Grace said...

How stinkin' adorable! All of them :)

Abigail said...

Titi,
You nailed it!

Elizabeth,
Oh, they're all right, I guess. :)

Rebecca said...

I've finished my scone and clementine for the morning (and yes, I took three times as long eating it than I should have...) so I had best be off.

But I end with hlearning too...so I can justify it.

Susannah is something else. She cracks me up- the girlie girl.

Rebecca said...

I forgot to add to the last comment the ACTUAL comment:

I am glad to see you blogging again! I figure, even if this blog is parched for a while after the most recent photo dump, we only have 10 weeks (give or take) to wait until a new one! ;-)

Abigail said...

Maybe EIGHT weeks?! (Hey, a girl can hope...)