2.19.2014

Stitchery

The night before we left for Long Island to celebrate the latter days of Christmas with our Owen family, I indulged in my stupid-stupid habit of staying up all night to make gifts I hadn't made before then.  Stupid.  Stupid!  Stupid-stupid!!!

I was glad I did, though, and I was so pleased with how these small, zippered pouches took shape that I don't regret a blessed minute.  (Well, except for those minutes when I had to rip out mistakes with a sleep-fogged brain...)  I followed this tutorial, which I can't recommend highly enough for dullards like me who cannot figure out how to easily do things on their own.  Her instructions were foolproof (I'm the proof!), and the lining and zippers came together smoothly thanks to the clarity of her tutorial.  I thought the fabric tabs at the ends of the zippers were brilliant, too. I never would have thought to do that in a million years, even if I wanted to spend a million years developing the idea of fabric tabs on zipper ends.

The only changes I made were to make and stitch on the itty-bitty animal appliques first and to leave the front and back panels solid fabric instead of blocking them. 






In case it's not clear, this one's a penguin,





this is a cat,







and here sits a fox.




The End.



5 comments :

Titi said...

Mah-va-lous! Let me know we when can sign up to be on your Christmas list!

elizabethfrances said...

These are great!

heidiann(e) said...

Those are great! We should do a holiday-crafting date together sometime.

Abigail said...

Titi,
Anytime! Just keep in mind that it's the end of February, and I still have "Christmas" gifts I'd like to make and mail. :)

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Heidi,
Yes, please!

Rebecca said...

These are great!

Zippers kind of scare me.

I love the fox. Your appliques are always so beautiful!