2.19.2014

Scribble on China and Give it Away

I used oven-bake marker to mark up a bunch of mugs for Christmas gifts this year. I didn't take pictures of all of them, but here are most. These were simple, handmade gifts that could slide pretty easily into my days. If you choose to do the same, though, I recommend getting extra-fine tipped paint pens. These fine-tip ones were too chunky, which might have caused me to howl with frustration a few times.   (Imagine Wolfman on a cloudless, full-moon night.  Yup, that's about right.)



 


For Deborah:







I loved making Susannah's.  It was easy, and I liked it best of all.







Two for Pete and Sarah to hide in the back of their gorgeous cupboards:








Umm....April's?  Yeah, I bet this one was for April.







The only option when you hear that your nephew has newly developed a passion for cute, little, potbellied pigs is to make a pig plate.  It's the ONLY option.








5 comments :

Titi said...

I repeat. . .when is open enrollment to join your Christmas gift lift?? ;)

Full of Grace said...

This is an AWESOME idea! I will be definitely borrowing it!! Did you use all ceramic wear or were any of them melanine? Just curious! :)

heidiann(e) said...

lovely.

Abigail said...

Titi,
Like I said, anytime! Just don't expect them for Christmas. :)

Elizabeth,
Go for it! I can definitely see you making some beautiful things! Two notes: I was a cheapskate and just bought ceramic mugs at the dollar store and at the Christmas Tree Shop (they had the white mugs for under $1.50 each). Also, I didn't buy the more expensive Sharpie porcelain pens, though I probably would in the future because they had the "extra-fine" tip pen I wish I'd had in retrospect. We've been handwashing the mugs I made for John and Susie since Christmas, and the design has held up well, so I think it's definitely worth a shot on just about any glass/ceramic/porcelain surface. They do have to be baked in the oven after being marked up, though, so you'd have to stick with oven-safe materials.

Rebecca said...

This was a brilliant idea which I fully intend to steal.

I love the feather "set" best.