3.19.2015

While We Wait



I was ready and prepared to announce spring's arrival.  I saw the signs.  We rejoiced in our first (and only, so far) brown eggs from the thawing chickens,






the season's first syrup shot through with sunlight,






and a balmy wind from the south.






But then bitter wind returned, banshee-wailing through the trees and our house's cracks all day and all night.  This week, we've eaten soup, thick with chicken, beans, and grains, swimming in broth simmered all day on the stovetop,





corned beef, baked all day to heat the cold side of the house, and cabbage roasted with olive oil and balsamic.





We've enjoyed the next morning's hush, with the surprise of quiet flakes falling thick on the land.

































To offset the quiet images above, we've also had days of stir-crazy children and short-tempered Abigail, piles of clutter still only halfway sorted in the downstairs, and laundry, never-ending.  When spring comes, I'll be ready, but for now, I'm glad of these still spaces.

7 comments :

heidiann(e) said...

Yes, waiting.

Sigrid has started to say, every time we drive over the West Creek bridge, "When it's summer I can wear my swimmy suit and go in the water!"

And then she also still rejoices at each snowfall.
Thank goodness for children! She never lets me dwell too much on the "someday," because now is such blessing.

Rebecca said...

Happy 1st day of Spring from one snow-covered hilltop to another.

I hope this little squall doesn't impede upon any of your weekend plans!

Molly said...

I feel warm and cozy just looking at your delectable pictures of delicious sustenance! The snowy scenes are so beautiful. I've never experienced such winter wonder. Someday, I'd love to spend some time in all of that snow. Yes, I know...be careful what you wish for. We've had the heat off for over a week now and last night before going to bed I checked the temp - a balmy 76 degrees in the house. We slept with the ceiling fan on for part of the night. Mother Nature is quite temperamental!

Much love!

Renata said...

The snow...your winter....it's all so beautiful. I can imagine how you eagerly you are anticipating spring though. I hope it comes soon! :)

Abigail said...

Heidi,
I've never really had trouble with stretching my eyes to the future. My Achilles heel is turning too often to the past, and children are an equal antidote for that! You are so right. Living in the good of the present is their gift.

Rebecca,
We walked into John's parents house just in time. The flakes started falling thick and fast as soon as we shut the door!

Molly and Renata,
Anytime you want to enjoy the beauty (and the cold!) of our winter firsthand, you know who to visit! :)

Abigail said...

[parents' house]

Abigail said...

[WHOM to visit. Sheesh.]