1.21.2009

A Preface to Hay

Like all children do, Annie gets on doodle kicks in which she draws a variation on the same theme for weeks at a time. In late October and early November, she drew lots of these funny trick-or-treaters. This one is me, dressed as a flower, smiling at the moon. (I'm sure happy, but look at how frightened my candy basket is...)


Then there was her discovery that numbers should be incorporated into fashion. (This was me, wearing one of the many gowns she designed during this time. And those aren't elephant ears, either; it's my hair, for Pete's sake!)


I was glad that this next phase didn't last long. When I asked her why I had a mustache in this portrait, she corrected me by saying, "It's not a mustache. See? You have TWO eyes and TWO noses and TWO mouths." It really wasn't the most flattering drawing she's ever done of me, but at least my headdress was scalloped.


Her use of color, though, seems innate, because she's done it from the time she could scribble, always choosing to utilize as much color as possible. She thinks in rainbows.


When she paints (which is rare because I'm a bad mother), she does the same with both her abstract work


and her highly realistic work.


Now, onto the hay.

1 comment :

Rebecca said...

she is quite the artist, I've always thought. I see she still resembles Picasso