10.17.2013

Around Every Corner

We heap buckets, baskets, boxes full, but that many more again sit hidden in the grass, and that many more again hang heavy above.


 


After a late spring snow and a barren fall harvest last year, this year's abundance is a marvel at every turn.


 


Wild apples spill out of pastures and roll onto roadsides.  Cultivated trees threaten to break under their heavy load, and we see boards propping up branches everywhere we drive.

Boxes of free apples fill one corner of our basement, gleaned from trees that held more than enough for us and all others.  Even the animals have started to ignore the piles of food that plummet to the ground, and children stuff cupholders with neglected apples.

 We're storing this year for the lean times.  What bounty!


 

6 comments :

Rebecca said...

guess what I am doing this very day?

Well- as soon as I finish my lunch burrito.

THAT IS A LOT OF APPLES! WOW. I can't imagine having THAT MANY to put up! What a huge huge blessing!

Although- if I were the putter upper of so many apples, I fully admit that I would be sick to death of them by now and wishing them gone. Much like the tomatoes I now miss.

Love, an ungrateful Israelite.

Full of Grace said...

This year has been crazy abundant, even I have 4 boxes of apples, picked for FREE! Almost every day I make a batch of applesauce to inhale ;)

Abigail said...

What's funny is that my mom has been giving us a TON of applesauce with the apples she's picked, so I don't even feel a pressing need to stock our larder for winter! Neither of the big burners on our stove currently work, either, so I have an excuse, anyway. We have been eating lots of apple-drenched breakfasts, though, and once the burners are replaced, I'll have to face them. :)

Elizabeth,
Wahoo! Isn't it wonderful?! It feels unreal to load up so much good food from outdoors, with more to spare.

Rebecca said...

Oh yeah- this post reminds me that I totally forgot to let you know whatever happened with the ordering apples things. I was only able to get you one bag, not two. I'm really sorry about that.

Hopefully, your mom will be so sick of apple-making that she won't notice. (I can hope.)

How handy to have the applesauce (without the work!) AND the apples! And of course, the offer still stands to bring buckets and boxes to our house to make cider...an open invitation stands, for whenever/if ever you want to.

Molly said...

The land I live in doth not produce such goodness! Applesauce cooking on the stove filling the air with apple goodness, cider-making and just eating an apple picked from the tree seems heavenly. My October calendar has an overturned basket of apples spilling out with the phrase, "You are the apple of His eye." May your days continue to be beautiful!

Much love!

Renata said...

Oh your apple pictures almost make me long for autumn ( almost). We are also blessed here to be able to pick wild apples off the roadside. While they don't always taste the best for eating, I've always found them great for making apple sauce! What a blessing your Mum is giving you applesauce!
Enjoy!
Blessings
Renata:)