10.09.2013

Taters

The girls helped me dig potatoes, as always.


 









I was elated when I saw this plump, red beauty they unearthed.






The next day was nippy, but they helped wash the vegetables while I canned in the kitchen.  I poked my head out the door to find an efficient root vegetable-washing factory.  One carted the potatoes to the bowl, one scrubbed, one put them in the laundry basket,


 


and one ferried them indoors to this little elf who guarded them from thieves and robbers.

 




It's a shame they only get paid in potatoes, huh.  (Child laborers, unite!)



3 comments :

Rebecca said...

The potatoes are beautiful, to be sure, but what really caught my attention was the SOIL. I didn't see a stone or a clump of clay in the bunch! Whatever you are doing to fix your soil problems- keep doing it!

Abigail said...

What you see is pretty nearly straight manure. I dug a wide trench (and we removed all the stones and shovelfuls of clay we could at that point), filled the entire things with pounds and pounds of manure, laid down the seed potatoes, and covered 'em up. Voila! Now to do that to the REST of the garden, huh...

Sonya D said...

I love seeing the photos of your garden (and the helpful gnomes that populate it). It lets me live vicariously through you until, maybe, one day, we get to have a big space for growing edibles. Until them we'll keep growing potatoes in a huge pot - enough for maybe only two meals, but the girls still enjoy digging and dumping them out with me!