10.09.2013

Save Some for the Squirrels

Everything glowed golden, and hickory nuts fell from the sky and made us duck.  The children munched wild apples and hulled nuts while I did nothing but take pictures.

And, yes, we saved some for the squirrels.
























Sorry for the over-saturation of these pictures.  I guess Pip's and Annika's garish monochromaticity  was too much for my camera's capabilities.  Yikes!






 







 



 



 



 



 



After filling a basket with nuts, we walked into the woods to gather materials for fairy terrariums.


 




In case you want to do the same, be aware that moss and sundries will spring up everywhere.







 








6 comments :

Kate said...

Annika looks so exactly like you in that profile shot!

Abigail said...

I never, ever see myself in Annika, but I'll joyfully snatch your comment and try to believe it!

Rebecca said...

Would you believe we made fairy houses several weeks ago too? Not indoors- that is a pretty brilliant idea- but in the woods. The children gathered fallen corn bits and put a kernel on each plate and returned a few days later and they had vanished! The fairies had come!

An INDOOR fairy house would be just plain COOL though. As long as no hulks took up residence. I am not sure how strong green men and dainty fairies would get along.

Rebecca said...

Also- I am so impressed with how resourceful you are in gathering and gleaning and taking advantage of all that surrounds you.

Yummy nuts.

Abigail said...

The girls love to make outdoor fairy houses, too. This is our first try at terrariums, though. I'd never thought of corn! Genius. (Don't let a naysayer tell them it was the squirrels' doing. Never!)

Sonya D said...

My girls would go nuts seeing those terrariums - Elsa was just introduced to The Borrowers, so she has been setting up little "homes" for them around the house, and I keep finding little "people" in odd unexpected places around the house. I don't know if I'm ready to risk finding moss and such hidden in corner cabinets!