5.14.2014

Before Baby




Millie turned on the Elizabeth Mitchell Pandora station as we cleaned up after supper.   I kept sweeping while the girls ran to prepare for bed, and a few minutes later, Rufus Wainwright's voice filled the room, singing "Hallelujah," a Leonard Cohen song that first slammed into my center in high school through the conduit of Jeff Buckley's voice.

 I swept and sang along, remembering reading about Buckley's death in the newspaper my senior year of high school and not knowing what else to do but to clip out the short article and tape it in my journal, a small and token nod to the power of his singing.  I swept and remembered a coffee house where college friends pushed me to sing the same song for them, and I faltered in front of the microphone, feeling exposed and unable to perform in public what I sang with abandon alone because I held it too close.  I swept and remembered, also in college, sitting in silence with John while hearing Tim Buckley's voice for the first time, entranced by its keening rise and wail, and being struck by father in son and son in father.  So many memories scattering about in dust raised from a broom, and all in the space of a few minutes.  Music is a powerful thing.

Finished sweeping, I just came to the computer to see on what album the Rufus Wainwright cover version was, wondering how it made its way onto the children's station, only to find that it was from the "Shrek" soundtrack.  What a strange world.

_____________________________________

The children are in bed, John's at a late meeting, and I'm staying up to see him, so here's a flood of snapshots for you.  Not shown are all the snapshots filed inside-- the moments of short temper and harsh words, of ungratefulness, of inexcusable crankiness, of sloth and bad priorities, of letting feeling overwhelmed grow into apathy and indifference, of sin and selfishness and stiff pride.  Also not shown are the thrill of first throwing open the windows, the life of fresh breezes in a home, the peace of waking to birdsong and cool morning air, just crisp enough to ease one awake, the endearing twist of a child's mouth puckered for bedtime kisses, perfection in its lines, and-- there-- shining in the corners of sight, the mercy and forgiveness that run through the length of each day like a twisted thread, slim and golden-- the one, small thread strong enough to hold all the rest of it together.

8 comments :

Full of Grace said...

Checking every day to see if baby has arrived..just to let you know ;)

Abigail said...

No Outside Baby yet. It's because I still have too much to do! At this rate, Cozykin won't show his or her sweet face until 2015. ;)

Renata said...

Hi Abigail,
I must admit to being guilty of checking frequently here as well! I am so excited about your latest lot of snapshots.
This post is beautiful and how you paint a lovely picture with your words. Those spring breezes and happy days sound so enchanting! We are beginning to close up the house and bundle up more as we get closer to winter here. I must say though that it has been the most glorious autumn so I can't complain.
Take care!
Blessings
Renata
PS I'm keeping you and bub in my prayers!

Rebecca said...

I love a good glut of snapshots!

Looking forward, especially, for the ones to come soon! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping an eye out for your new little one too. Our Lilly-goat just popped yesterday and delivered a whopping 11 lb. boy. I had to go in and haul him out because he was stuck in there like a cork. I hope your kid isn't that big!

I have a blog now too. You've been after me to start one for years, and I finally did it this winter. It says it goes back to 2011, but that's because I copy/pasted it from my old goat packing forum and turned it into a goat blog. I'm sure it's not as exciting as a blog about people kids though. ;)

www.goatorama.com

Nanno said...

^ Oh, that was me, Nanno (who else?). =)

Abigail said...

Thanks for your kind words, Renata! I love it when you mention the topsy-turvy nature of us enjoying opposite ends of the seasonal year. It's the closest I get to traveling these days! Since I'm still here, and baby's still happy inside, I still appreciate those prayers! :)

Nanno,
Congratulations, GRANDMA!!!! Eleven pounds...golly! My friend Rebecca can deliver whoppers like that, but the current record in our house is a baby just a bit over seven pounds. Surely not as impressive (but just as cute). Glad Lily and kid are doing well, and you were there to help things safely along. I'll definitely hop over to your blog to check it out. (A blog! Yeah!)

Griffen said...

All of it, but especially that last paragraph... such merciful truth. Long days, but that thread that is ever longer, thank you Lord.