3.20.2019

Real Time (Again?!)


This afternoon the children and I skipped bail, and, more importantly, skipped afternoon naps, in order to pick up interlibrary loan books at the nearest town. I've avoided this library for years because the old librarian was quite grim, but I met the new librarian last week, and-- despite my caution-- she welcomed me to bring everyone to the library. "I like chaos!" she said.

It's a tiny library with four little rooms.
A little chaos goes a long way.

We stepped in, chatted while she checked out the books, and the children scattered like the four winds to pick out more books, because that is what We Must Do.

All in all, we spent a relaxing half hour or so accumulating a modest stack. When it was time to check out the new books, I stood at the desk and figured we were home free. A glowing reputation secured! Then Aidan came tearing around the corner, wailing like a banshee because someone had mistakenly brought the wrong book of his to get checked out. A glowing reputation snuffed out, just like that.

I don't need to go into details. It wasn't pretty, but it was short-lived, and he was able to muster politeness fairly quickly. On the way to our next stop, I asked him if that was his best behavior. From the back, he responded with a muffled, "No."
"Was it your worst behavior?" I then asked.
No response.
Then Zeke piped up, "Nooo. It certainly wasn't his WORST behavior."

We all burst into peals of laughter, because he was right!
Thank goodness, too.

No comments :